Netting

• 12 Replies

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
Netting
« on: April 09, 2010, 01:19 »
As been fairly new to this game I was wondering what crops people see as a must to net / cover and which crops people tend to leave alone so to speak.
Woooooooooooooo

Trillium

Re: Netting
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:29 »
Most berries need to be netted from birds as well as cherries; red is just too irresistible to them. New shoots of peas, onions and garlic will either be eaten or pulled out by pigeons in particular, as well as a few other birds. All brassicas, (sprouting broccoli, cabbages, etc) against cabbage butterflies, carrots against carrot fly (provided the mesh is fine enough). Not sure if anyone has had great success netting against slugs though.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:05 »
i net the brassicas, except the kale, and i have a carrot bed that i cover with enviromesh. i put some netting over the strawberries once they start fruiting but thats all, i dont cover any of my other fruit.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 09:28 »
I'm with the others on this.  When I first started my allotment I just watched what the more experienced members were doing and followed their lead.  You learn an awful lot by just looking :D

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:24 »
Popped up to the site yesterday evening - saw a beautiful pheasant working it's way along someone's row of peas, plucking them out one by one - think they're after the worms & grubs that come up with the roots!

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:59 »
Loubs - We have a resident pheasant too - it may be beautiful to look at - but I could ring its neck!  It caught me out the first year I was working the plot - took all the rows of peas. What with this blooming pheasant, pigeons and the rabbit situation I've had to rabbit proof my whole plot - cost a fortune - oh the joys of allotmenteering :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:11 »
What an unpleasant pheasant. :closedeyes:
Cheese makes everything better.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:16 »
 :D :D :D :D :D

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 21:55 »
My allotment site is just outside the back of my house I have seen a pheasant wondering round but no sign recently however a couple of ducks have taking a liking to the black plastic sheet which my neighbour is using to keep half his plot covered. :D

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 22:02 »
is debri netting fine enough to stop carrot root fly??

Elcie

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 22:03 »
is debri netting fine enough to stop carrot root fly??

Apparently not, it would need to be enviromesh for the CRF although debris netting is apparently ok for cabbage whites.

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 22:07 »
If a lot of the problems seem to be protecting young shoots etc then is it not better to start everything in modules so they get a healthy start and then transplant out.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 23:17 »
Plants in modules will reach a certain size and then start stressing out due to cramping,and that will attract still more insect pests who are sensitive to this. The main problem with most protected crops is that birds and rabbits love the younger shoots and if they don't chew them, they pull them out. Plants need to be quite established for root systems to hold them in. And by that time you've got other pests like cabbage butterfly laying eggs and consuming crops. Carrot flies will really mess your carrots if they get in to the point of chucking out the lot.

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
When (if ever) can I take the netting of PSB?

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 17:58
by seaside
xx
netting

Started by sanuka on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 20:25
by gobs
xx
Netting over?

Started by Dora5 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:30
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 35 queries.