Help needed pecking order fighting

• 4 Replies

Michaelrn

Help needed pecking order fighting
« on: April 12, 2012, 17:03 »
Hi I have two call ducks one male and one female and one red hen as the other died in November the three have lived together fine since November, after a bit of research and talking with a breeder we decided to get another hen to go with our existing red , on tues we went to collect our amber Link who is 17 weeks old, there has been some quiet heavy pecking fighting between the red hen and call duck against the newbie I'm aware they will be finding the pecking order again, this is the first time I have introduced any New hens ,and the noise when it happens sounds like mass murder in the the back garden, the amber link has found refuge on top of the coup during the day which causes no harm to anyone she is eating fine as I fed her up there yesterday and actually in the coup last night when the others were out and about ,will this calm down in the next week or so or will I have to look into building a coup for her on her own just bit worried she may get injured as when she is being pecked on she buries her head down and trys to hide , thanks for your help

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Help needed pecking order fighting
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 17:45 »
Keep calm  :)  What sounds like mass murder if often all noise with poultry.

The cowering down is submission and your new girl is trying to prove she is no threat.  Pecking may look bad, but if you are not seeing injuries, then it is for show rather than meant to harm and is a dominance display by the others.  Keep food and water on top of the coop for your new girl - 2 feeders and drinkers is always a good idea when introducing newbies.

It will calm down.  It is tough for a single new bird so if you have room you might like to get her a friend so they can be newbies together  :)

Michaelrn

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 19:10 »
Hi thanks for that just been out to check on her she is fine and eating well I let the old hen get her perch first then place the new one in on a spare one once gets dark am I doing the right thing or should I just let her find her own space, we may have room for one more so may have a trip down were we got her from on sat.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:18 »
I second New Shoots advice.  Just keep an eye out for any injuries and have some purple spray handy.

You are fine putting her on a perch but just hold back to see if she does it herself.  You may find she will perch next to your red hen.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Maeve

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 13:13 »
I agree with the advice you have been given by New Shoot and ANHBUC.  Unless you really don't have room, a companion for your new hen would be a very good idea.  Red Hen will almost certainly stay in charge but she's much less likely to do more than the occasional peck to remind everyone she's number 1 if there are two others (as well as the ducks), and the two can be newbies together.  My top hen is a very dominant Blackrock who since she has had a flock of four others "under" her -a Welsummer and three RIRs one of which is a bantam- has become a most gracious leader!

xx
Pecking order!

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 10:35
by JaK
xx
Pecking order

Started by henrietta5 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 22:13
by henrietta5
xx
Pecking order.

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 10:05
by shiatsusu
xx
Pecking order

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 13:20
by mad mark

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 40 queries.