Chicken Problem

• 6 Replies

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
Chicken Problem
« on: April 24, 2009, 22:38 »
Hi guys

The plot I have taken over had 18 chickens however there seems to be a problem.

They all have no tail featers what so ever, and there back ends are really really red raw and pulsing alot (I have never had chickens before so excuse my ignorance)

The chickes are black with brown on there chests and a green tinge to some of their feathers if that helps lol

Hope someone can offer so advice

compostqueen

Re: Chicken Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 22:43 »
to look after that many chickens properly you'll have to do some swotting up. There are lots of subjects covered here so make sure you read the threads as they give chapter and verse on looking after hens.  if they're featherless and red that could be the birds are pecking each other or it could be an infestation of some sort.   The various threads will help you with identifying problems such as these and then give you advice about how best to treat the birds

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 22:51 »
They sound like blackrock hybrids to me (i got 1) also sounds like they are feather pecking each other, the pulsing is them breathing!  ??? loads of people will be able to help with this problem  How much space do they have?
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 22:54 »
Heading to the poultry information section is a really good start. It is al broken down into sections so not too overwhelming.

Does sound like you are in at the deep end! Don't worry, you will get the hang of it. 8) Would start by doing some reading up tonight and then you probably need to get a bit hands on tomorrow morning and have a good look at them close up to see if they have any wounds or bugs living on them.
Assuming that food, water and shelter is already in place3 but there is lots of info about that and the different optionsa and varieties.
The other invaluable tool is a camera as you can post pics that will give people the best chance of helping you with specific questions.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:26 »
One of our ex-bats came with exactly that problem, tail end missing feathers and looked red though no bleeding or open wounds. After a couple of weeks she's growing new feathers and her skin's pink, so I'd go with the others and say it's pecking and feather pulling. How much space do they have - are they cramped?

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 01:28 »
I was having problems similar to yours last fall with some bantams. Mice were clipping off the feathers to line thier nests. There was just a little of the feather left and it was pretty close to the skin.  If there are short stubs left on the birds instead of the feathers being pulled completely out I would suspect vermin!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 09:44 »
Hello Thompson24,
Welcome to the Forum.
I think you should buy some purple spray and give each red area a good squirt - hens love red, so will be greatly attracted to all the red bottoms and will peck!
When you pick up each hen, check for any lice at the base of their feathers and treat for that too.
Hang cabbage up for them to peck at instead.
Make sure they have layers pellets on offer all day long - under cover as it doesn't do to be wet - and a constant fresh supply of water.  A small handfull of corn each 1/2 hour before bed will be a nice treat for them, too.
Yes, your hens sound to me to be of Blackrock lineage.  I have hybrids just like your description and they were called Black Nera.

Depends where in the country you are, but surplus eggs can be sold for £1.00 to £1.50 half dozen.  It will help pay for their food.
Good luck.
cathangirl

xx
problem chicken

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 10, 2007, 08:31
by Aunt Sally
xx
help chicken and egg problem!

Started by chickchick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 21:50
by Vember
xx
problem with chicken

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 10:25
by ehs284
xx
chicken with skin problem

Started by phillp on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 09:36
by phillp

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 38 queries.