How is your sweetcorn??

• 57 Replies

BarefootDancer

Re: How is your sweetcorn??
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 12:11 »
We're growing Minipop, bought as eight plug plants from the garden centre. Came on pretty well in our south-facing bay window and planted them out in early June.

Looked a bit straggly outside for a while, but are now quite tall and very sturdy looking. Flowers just beginning to appear and one plant has a cob forming  :D 

Next door on "The Big Plot" they are also growing about eight plants, although not sure which variety. Their plants look a lot more spindly than ours, but have been flowering for ages and each have about three cobs.

So hopefully we will both be enjoying some sweet, sweet corn soon!

Barefoot x

"Perhaps we could just dig up that bit of lawn......and plant more veg?"

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 12:21 »
Sorry if this is bad news but minipop is the kind you stirfry!
Bred especially to produce mini corn - this variety produces 3-5 cobs per plant and should be picked before the tassels appear.

Tender cobs can be eaten raw or cooked.

Plant closely at 8in/20cm spacing.

Baby Corn!

quote from - http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/sweetcorn-mini-pop-seeds-pid2579.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:22 by mumofstig »

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 12:39 »
My sweetcorn was very slow to get going but the last week of sun we had worked wonders and the cobs  seem to be forming nicely . :)

BarefootDancer

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:54 »

quote from - http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/sweetcorn-mini-pop-seeds-pid2579.html

Yep, that's what we eat the most  :)  Although, will admit to not doing my homework re harvesting - seems we don't have to wait for flowers/ pollinating etc, so can probably harvest the first cob now  :)

Might have a go at growing the full size version next year, for a change and as these seem to have done well

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 13:06 »
Yep, that's what we eat the most   :)

*big sigh of relief*  :D

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 14:41 »

Yep, that's what we eat the most  :)  Although, will admit to not doing my homework re harvesting - seems we don't have to wait for flowers/ pollinating etc, so can probably harvest the first cob now  :)

Might have a go at growing the full size version next year, for a change and as these seem to have done well

I made the mistake the first year I grew these of leaving them too long before harvesting and they were inedible!  Am giving them another go this year.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 21:53 »
Mmmm may try those next year, I love baby corn!

My sweetcorn plants aren't as tall as they usually are, but all but one have cobs forming, and a few have 3 cobs on one plant.  Hope they turn out okay!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 08:08 »
I have 8 plants, all 7 foot high and bearing 2-3 cobs each. Considering the poor growing conditions this year, and how the plants were struggling earlier on, I'm really pleased  :)

What variety are they Aelf? (at 7' tall I'm assuming they're not Swift, unless I've been doing something really wrong for the last 3-4 years!)  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 09:28 »
Hi JayG, I'll have a look for the packet when I get home, can't remember the variety off-hand but I don't think they are Swift.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 12:40 »
I've got 7 plants - most of them have cobs on (some plants have a 2nd cob forming). Tassles are starting to go brown but they are not very tall and the cobs don't look that big.

How do you know when they're ready?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48 »

I made the mistake the first year I grew these of leaving them too long before harvesting and they were inedible!  Am giving them another go this year.
[/color]

Same here.

So far the plants are about two feet tall but no sign of any cob growth yet. Watching  carefully  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Agatha

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 13:55 »
I decided this year that I didn't really want any sweetcorn, so I'm just growing them for the lovely feature they make in my garden, a beautiful mass of six inch high greenery... Well, that's what I'm trying to convince myself of anyway...

'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Springlands

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 14:17 »
I decided this year that I didn't really want any sweetcorn, so I'm just growing them for the lovely feature they make in my garden, a beautiful mass of six inch high greenery... Well, that's what I'm trying to convince myself of anyway...

:lol: :lol:

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 11:09 »
Getting there slowwwwly.....

The small one on the right is a result of a co-planter bending the plant to within an inch of its life  >:( :).

I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 12:10 »
mine have finished producing pollen and it doesn't look as if many cobs have been pollinated, it's just been to windy :(
So I'll just have to wait and see.

On a plus note the winter squash growing through them seem to have set a few squashes, fingers crossed for them as well  ;)

xx
sweetcorn

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 20:36
by andy135
xx
sweetcorn

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 17:41
by Tattyanne456
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Big Stev3 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 16:46
by Yorkie
xx
How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 10:37
by BumbleJo

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 30 queries.