Onions query.....

• 15 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Onions query.....
« on: September 03, 2007, 17:27 »
I've been wondering - seeing as I'm unable to do any digging for a few more weeks and wanted to plant onions - when are overwintering onions planted in the autumn ready to be harvested? And when does the onion planting season start in the spring/summer? When are these ready for harvesting? Is it worth my while getting onion sets and planting now, or will it be just as good planting next year?

Many apologies for many questions in one post, but I need to consider each one and make a decision! Many thanks peeps.
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

Onions query.....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 17:43 »
See http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=84950#84950

Spring-sown sets would be planted Mar/Apr down your way, I'd guess

I think that covers most of your questions.

brucesgirl

Onions query.....
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 18:11 »
I have ordered autumn planting onion sets from Dobies, which they reckon will be ready for harvesting in June next year. I shall probably plant some ordinary sets in April as well for harvesting next autumn.
Of course everything depends on having the right weather in the right season.

jacnal

Onions query.....
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 18:12 »
It kinda does, but it's raised more questions for confirmation......

If I were to plant japanese or other overwintering onions this autumn, does that mean I'll harvest next July/August/September only? By which time onions planted in the spring will be ready for harvesting in October but as they store better will be eaten till June the next year?

Hmmmmm..... I could plant some then, see if I can avoid having to buy onions come July 2008. When's the latest I can plant them? Hoping the weather's what it's expected to be - i.e. no suprises due to global warming etc?

WG.

Onions query.....
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 18:21 »
Plan them sooner the better.  They might be ready by June (brucesgirl is geographically nearer you than I am).

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Onions query.....
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 18:23 »
Not quite. Your winter onions will keep you going until September (If you plant enough!), but you will be harvesting the 'maincrop' onions probably in August. Do NOT leave them in the ground until October, they need a proper drying out before storing.

When the winter onions are done, as WG says, start on the 'problem' onions that won't store, such as those that have made a flower.

I plant winter onions at the end of September, and the others in March. Didn't have to buy too many last year, but not so optimistic this year due to the deluge when they should have been dying off in the ground.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jacnal

Onions query.....
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 18:33 »
Thanks WG and DD!

Brucegirl (if you're reading), or anyone else in the South that might be reading - when are you planting your overwintering onions? Please do tell, so I know if I've a chance at all!

Where do I buy a good bunch of onion sets?  :wink:  :wink:

mushroom

Onions query.....
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 21:00 »
I'm growing my 'sets' for planting out now or next week. These are 'japanese' ones, for overwintering. the 'sets' are grown in modules. They're past the hairpin stage but not by much. I'm going to plant them into their final planting place in next couple of days. There's about 50 of em. Might do another 100 or so. i'm new to growing stuff, so I don't know if this is 100% the 'right' way of doing things.

Bigbadfrankie

Onions query.....
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 21:51 »
i am planting seed now but i am south about as south as you can be in the UK
always have a target
and an objective.

jacnal

Onions query.....
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 22:18 »
I'll definitely be buying sets rather than growing from seed. They are slightly bigger and have more of a sure chance than planting seeds - right? So, I may have time to get better  and still get a bed ready for them and plant them in time.  Ah well, push comes to shove i'll get Mr Jac digging while I supervise!

I should really say South East  for my geography rather than South, but I'm guessing the whole southern hemisphere has similar weather? I'm probably wrong, but hey!

brucesgirl

Onions query.....
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:57 »
Hi Jacnal - I have ordered the sets from Dobies, they have an online shop, and I will be planting them when they arrive, which they reckon will be the end of September. Am also going to shove in some Isle of Wight garlic cloves, not bought ones just some my brother-in-law has given me, at the same time.

jacnal

Onions query.....
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 13:02 »
Cheers Brucesgirl. I'll place an order as well.......

Lynne

Onions query.....
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 15:03 »
I ordered my sets from Thompson & Morgan as well as some shallots for autumn planting and garlic for planting a bit later. I'll put the onions and shallots in as soon as they arrive sometime this month.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Onions query.....
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 15:33 »
Quote from: "Lynne"
I ordered my sets from Thompson & Morgan as well as some shallots for autumn planting and garlic for planting a bit later. I'll put the onions and shallots in as soon as they arrive sometime this month.

I can't see them for looking on their web site! Do you mind if I ask what you paid for them.

They are £2.49 a kilo at my local garden centre, they are loose & you can pick out all the best ones!

Edit: Arrrggh - I've just found out that Dobies are selling the self same variety (Radar), for £2.05 for 200g. That ermmm - over a tenner a kilo!

What a rip off! Don't know if postage is added on top as well.

Lynne

Onions query.....
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 15:58 »
Digger Dave - I got them in a special offer (1 day half price) and paid £6 for 150 sets and the garlic.

xx
N.P.K query

Started by Nick36 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 13:57
by Snoop
xx
A Raspberry query

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2019, 17:59
by Flowertot
xx
Compost query

Started by hen maiden on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 11:10
by lazydog
xx
Tomato query

Started by Novice but totally hooked on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 20:13
by Novice but totally hooked

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 36 queries.