Calabrese 'bolting' and fast toms

• 8 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Calabrese 'bolting' and fast toms
« on: July 02, 2009, 08:44 »
I planted out some calabrese broccoli a few weeks ago and some is already starting to form a few flowers despite being only 20cm high. Shall i pull them out and replant with some small spare plants, or can i cut it down and hope it regrows from a side shoot?

On a more positive note, I sowed some tomato "latah" from realseeds in late April and although outside the plants and fruit are already bigger than the Roma I sowed 4 weeks earlier, and the largest fruit (walnut size but still green) rival those of gardener's delight in the greenhouse that I sowed 4 weeks earlier. This looks to be a super fast tom. I will see if it tastes as good as it grows and let you know.

Charlie

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Re: Calabrese 'bolting' and fast toms
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 16:02 »
I've had one row of Calabrese bolt too and yet another nearby row is perfect.

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 18:12 »
Me too!

This is my first year growing. So far the biggest disappoinment has been my calabrese. Luckily I sowed 2 successions so the second lot may be better but the first had very loose heads and eventually flowered...gutted! I don't understand why???  :(

weather? ground? time of sowing?

Christine

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 21:27 »
Calabrese sulks in heat. That's certain. It also sulks if it isn't quite warm enough or if you don't pick it when it feels it is ready.

Basically it just doesn't like British summer is the consensus on our site.  :wub:

MoreWhisky

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 21:32 »
I agree with Christine, my Calabrese was perfect last week and its certainly sulked in this heat.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 21:37 »
mine has gone from the very first sign of a teeny weeny head starting to form, to bolted and flowering in less than a week!

Christine

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 21:42 »
You have to pick the teeny weeny head and use that is the consensus on our site. It tastes just as nice but you just need to pick a few more heads.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 07:50 »
After seeing my sister and my friends efforts this year, and then their disappointment when both lots bolted Im not growing calabrese next year. Too much room taken up with little reward.  Most of the site old boys shook their heads when they saw them and warned them this would happen  >:(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

MoreWhisky

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:18 »
I have found the time it took for my calabrese heads to grow from 2inches to 10 inches only 2 weeks.

You need to look at them every day as they can go over very quickly.

Mine are all now in the freezer.

xx
Fast Calabrese

Started by calculad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 11:52
by m1ckz
xx
Bolting calabrese

Started by sllimsm on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 19:31
by sunshineband
xx
Fast germination.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 00:30
by iwantanallotment
xx
very fast response

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 16:54
by rhythmvick

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 28 queries.