onions to show

• 9 Replies

rowlandwells

onions to show
« on: November 26, 2023, 13:13 »
I don't usually grow veg for showing but we have in the past put veg in our local Horticultural  show just to make the numbers and we did win first price with our Marrows the other year this year we never bothered but boy O boy what tat was on show I've put better veg on the compost heap

one of the organisers said to me I bet you veg was better than these and grinned so why haven't you put any veg in this year I said well I didn't think they where good enough so he's  asked me if we can put some of our veg in next years show  now we used to have to Gents that grew massive onions and one or the other always won the best price for onions but sadly both have passed away

so I thought why don't I give onions a try  I've never grew onions for showing so I wanted to ask if anyone has grew onions for showing and could give me some advise on what is the best way to grow onions for showing  from sets or seed? any advise would be most welcome  RW

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: onions to show
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 18:09 »
If you're going for size, I think variety matters.

Have you had a rummage in the sub-forum The Show Bench?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 19:40 »
Onions from seed are needed & show growers will most likely have already sown a large variety. There’s Robinson’s seeds that many use. Kelsae are one variety
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 21:18 »
I don't usually grow veg for showing but we have in the past put veg in our local Horticultural  show just to make the numbers and we did win first price with our Marrows the other year this year we never bothered but boy O boy what tat was on show I've put better veg on the compost heap

one of the organisers said to me I bet you veg was better than these and grinned so why haven't you put any veg in this year I said well I didn't think they where good enough so he's  asked me if we can put some of our veg in next years show  now we used to have to Gents that grew massive onions and one or the other always won the best price for onions but sadly both have passed away

so I thought why don't I give onions a try  I've never grew onions for showing so I wanted to ask if anyone has grew onions for showing and could give me some advise on what is the best way to grow onions for showing  from sets or seed? any advise would be most welcome  RW

Shows often have several onion classes: essentially for onions of different sizes (weight), colour and heaviest. Search on Google or YouTube for advice and tips on varieties, growing, drying and dressing for show - there's plenty on there.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 08:42 »
this year we visited Sissinghurst [near Growster i think] they had a great veg garden in it were huge Onions in rows looking at the variety they were Ailsa Craig which we grow but we do not achieve this size but maybe worth trying several types they are cheap to buy and you get lots of seed  good luck.
from bow like to grow

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 11:29 »
I've already bought some Robinsons mammoth improved and Mammoth red also got golden bear and Santero  so I think I mite have enough seed and I have looked on youtube to give me some inspiration so it looks like its going to be suck it and see  :D anyway thanks for your replies

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 14:25 »
This chap supplies seedlings that grow into whoppers!

Medwyns of Anglesey
https://medwynsofanglesey.co.uk

Best wishes, (the exhibishioning might just bite)!   Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 19:01 »
I have some Santero onion seeds for 2024.  I got them by accident with a seed order and even after they sent me what I had actually ordered, they said to keep them. 

When I read the blurb, it seems they are a good companion for the Ailsa Craig seeds I have.  The Ailsa Craig are for early sowing (probably Boxing Day or perhaps New Years Day) and are the giants.  They don’t store that well though.  The Santero I will do later (end Jan/beginning Feb) and they are supposed to grow very evenly into uniform bulbs that keep well.

With your selection Rowland, you look to have some good contenders for the heaviest onion and matching set classes  :)

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 20:17 »
Peter Glazebrook seed is what you want mate ;)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 21:21 »
It depends what category you want to show your onions, but most judges look for great presentation over size!

xx
Onions for show

Started by Tom W. on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 22:53
by Tom W.
xx
Show Onions

Started by acwid on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 16:35
by AndyRVTR
xx
onions to show

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 22:37
by Steve.B
xx
show onions 2

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 22:03
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 45 queries.