Any Tips on Elephant Garlic?

• 3 Replies

Abunndance

Any Tips on Elephant Garlic?
« on: October 01, 2021, 22:32 »
I'm going to try to grow Elephant Garlic for the first time.  Does anyone have any advice for me?  I'm planning on planting it by next week in a west facing bed.   

Kleftiwallah

Re: Any Tips on Elephant Garlic?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 10:16 »
Good morning Abunndance,
my advice is don't bother.  Elephant garlic is just a modified leek and to my mind very little garlic flavour.  Why not grow 'hard neck garlick' which has fewer larger cloves - hence easier to peel.

Just my opinion you understand!  :closedeyes:  Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 10:27 »
I'm with Kleftiwallah on this - if you're growing it for larger garlic cloves you'll be disappointed with even the best elephant garlic.  If you specifically want to grow it though, prepare the bed well and to at least a spades depth now and dont forget to cover in the spring to avoid the allium leaf miner.

edit : Stupid keyboard !
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:16 by Lardman »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 10:31 »
It's not really like garlic, I agree, but does make nice soup, plus gives you considerable bragging rights when other people see it  :lol: :lol:
For those of you with the space and inclination to grow your own, Elephant Garlic makes an attractive addition to any garden, with gorgeous flower spikes up to 1.5 m tall. It likes full sun and moist conditions, and should be planted during September-October, to harvest the following June. Prepare the site by first clearing it of weeds and old plants, dig it over and work in some fertiliser. Plant each seed clove 20 cm from its neighbour, to give these mammoth cloves space to swell up into a monobulb. This typically splits into several, individual cloves, and produces stunning flower spikes in late Spring. It's best to remove these (and eat the delicious scapes!), so that all the plant's energy is used to feed the bulb, rather than the flower. By late June, you should have your own, ripe Elephant Garlic, ready to be harvested and eaten.
https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/growing/blog/all-about-elephant-garlic

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant garlic

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 13:09
by Totty
xx
Elephant Garlic

Started by mobilekat on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 02:12
by Paul Plots
xx
Elephant garlic

Started by brianh on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 20:16
by muntjac

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 41 queries.