Rhubarb help

• 17 Replies

ex-cavator

Rhubarb help
« on: March 23, 2011, 23:17 »
We've got a rhubarb plant that we inherited with our plot, we had some stalks off it last year but to be perfectly honest I think it's a bit old & tired. I should've put some manure on it over the winter but didn't do so. We put a compost bin over it to force it several weeks ago, but looking at it now, the few stalks it's throwing up are pretty limp and lifeless.

What's the best way to revive it now, or is now not a good time. Should we put (well rotted) manure around it now, or perhaps a general fertiliser, or just let it be? Should we leave it under cover or not? It's not the end of the world if it's too weak / we don't get a harvest off it this year, but I'd like to be able to split it next winter - or should we give it longer to regain it's strength first?

Paul Plots

Re: Rhubarb help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 23:27 »
I guess this is a daft question but has it had enough water? The compost bin may have kept it dry.

If it wasn't forced last year it may just need a little time to get going. If you are sure it's not just slow at waking up and it really does look tired out try uncovering it and wait patiently for some decent stalks. If/when you get some remember not to pick the lot or the plant will have no energy to make more.

Best of luck with it.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 23:30 »
I would probably give it a good feed of well composted manure, and leave it until the winter before splitting it and trying again. When you replant it you will need to incorporate plenty of well rotted manure to give it a good start.

The alternative is it might be a slightly later variety. I have 2 different ones. One starts shooting about January and another has only just kicked into life over the last 3 or 4 weeks.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:40 »
as you have forced it this year you shouldn't harvest from it again this year, i would leave it till next year then split it and give it a good feed

stompy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:09 »
The rhubarb on my old plot is already huge.
It's sent up loads of stalks with really good leaves.
Is it too late to move it and if i do do you think it will recover?

Sorry to hijack the post but i didn't want to run another post about rhubarb whilst one is already running.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:20 »
I think you'd have a hard job acually to kill it - that takes some skill.

However, I think that would possibly see it off as far as any decent rhubarb harvest is concerned for this year, but if moving it is more of a priority then that's secondary.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

stompy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:32 »
It's a really nice/tasty and good cropping variety (variety unknow).
If i don't get a crop from it this year im not bothered so long as i retain it for years to come.
If im going to take it i've got to do it this weekend as i've got to hand over the old plot on monday!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33 »
Nothing to lose then!

stompy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:47 »
No i supose not, just didn't want to go to the effort of digging it up and trying to keep it alive if it was a waste of time.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:10 »
I'd go for it.

Give it plenty of water so the crown doesn't dry out whilst it's re-establishing it's fine roots and make a crumble from the bigger leaves as this will help cut down moisture loss also.

Solidthegreat

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 11:45 »
Very interested in this topic, my Rhubarb crown went in mid October and the tips of 3 stalks just emerged a few days ago. I have not watered yet, but it looks like i should be. Also with what is being said, do i refrain from havesting this first year?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 14:05 »
Also with what is being said, do i refrain from havesting this first year?

I recommend you don;t harvest, so that the plant builds up a strong root system etc.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 15:54 »
I agree with Kristen. Just because it's sprouting doesn't mean you can pick. Give it time to establish and you can do some picking next year and a better picking the year after.

Each spring, mulch with some rotted manure and water well if there's little rain. After that, it's okay until next spring when you repeat this.

Sooz

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 16:30 »
Mine threw up some flowers last years which I promptly removed, but it looks as though it is about to do the same again.  Is it telling me that it;s time to split it??
I'm not young enough to know everything!

Give it a go

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 16:33 »
This post has reminded me to feed and water my rhubarb plants ;)

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
clip
Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 18:57
by GreyScales
xx
Rhubarb

Started by Settman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 10:25
by mumofstig
xx
rhubarb

Started by norbert10 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 14:22
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 36 queries.