John Grisham

• 20 Replies

snowdrops

Re: John Grisham
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 07:57 »
Snows, we're just starting out on all these again!

Our niece is a doctor in Virginia, home of Patricia Cornwell, and there is a huge following over there.

We found that she wrote more on the darker side in her later novels, possibly since she allowed a lot of her personal life intrude, but that doesn't mean that her plots are usually totally rivetting!

Interesting, & officially here’s a thank you for mentioning them way back when  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 10:28 »
You're very welcome, Snows!

Typo in my last post, I meant to say that "...possibly since she allowed a lot of her personal life intrude, but that doesn't mean that her plots aren't usually totally rivetting!"

Double negatives always get in the way of a proper post...:0-

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 13:26 »
I like my Terry Pratchett still and at the moment I'm reading through the English versions of Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher books. I'm a video gamer who played the games and wanted to go back and read the books, especially as Netflix have started a tv show based on the series. Geek heaven.

Occasionally I read gardening books by some duffer called John Harrison  :tongue2:

do you want me to let you know when their on a kindle deal. One was on the daily deal and I didn't put it on the kindle deals thread. It's not entirely relevant to gardening and amazon was crashing the computer so I couldn't get a link so now I feel terrible. Moving Pictures is on the monthly deals for £1.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00351YF0C/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c2_x_3_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_r=0DF77GAVSJGCMDN514A9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=cdb48817-0250-4822-b042-d7c0800fe293&pf_rd_i=5400977031

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 13:35 »
I like reading cooking and gardening books,
Fiction wise I love Terry Pratchet and Ben Arronavitch's Rivers of London books.

I know this is linked to a game, which I don't play, but it's really good. Think someone who seems to be a total hero but thinks he's a faking Flashman (did not like the sample I tried) but is actually a hero, who cares, wants a quiet life with a lot of tea/whisky/brandy-it's fictional drink and is hilarious. We had the paperbacks and were delighted when two of the three omnibusses were reduced to £1.99 each.

Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium (Warhammer 40,000 Book 1)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ciaphas-Cain-Hero-Imperium-Warhammer-ebook/dp/B07TY1L5X9/ref=pd_cp_351_1/260-4049864-3059355?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07TY1L5X9&pd_rd_r=e0c20bf3-8ad3-4402-a58a-6789372f5ca2&pd_rd_w=aU1IB&pd_rd_wg=n4IUJ&pf_rd_p=e245705f-76f0-411c-a075-ce37c7c6be12&pf_rd_r=19KF2XM75S99V6YARZC4&psc=1&refRID=19KF2XM75S99V6YARZC4

The first Ciaphas Cain omnibus

In the 41st millennium Commissar Ciaphas Cain, hero of the Imperium, is an inspiration to his men – at least that’s what the propaganda would have you believe…

READ IT BECAUSE
Enjoy tall tales of adventure and derring-do in Commissar Cain’s memoirs (annotated by a sarcastic inquisitor). T'au, necrons and Chaos cultists all fall before the self-proclaimed hero of the Imperium…

DESCRIPTION
In the war-torn future of the 41st Millennium Commissar Ciaphas Cain, hero of the Imperium, is respected by his peers and an inspiration to his men – at least that’s what the propaganda would have you believe. The reality is very different, for Ciaphas is simply looking for an easy life and a way to stay out of peril. However, fate has a habit of throwing him into the deadliest situations, and luck (mixed with self preservation) always manages to pull him through and onto the loftiest of pedestals. To survive Commissar Cain must dodge, bluff and trick his way out of trouble, even if it increases his status beyond his control!

Written by Sandy Mitchell.

Saviour Of The Imperium (Ciaphas Cain)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saviour-Imperium-Ciaphas-Sandy-Mitchell-ebook/dp/B07H2YDMK5/ref=pd_cp_351_2/260-4049864-3059355?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07H2YDMK5&pd_rd_r=e8cfc5dc-50e4-4177-a4a3-ecc88fdb4137&pd_rd_w=piml8&pd_rd_wg=JKdgv&pf_rd_p=e245705f-76f0-411c-a075-ce37c7c6be12&pf_rd_r=93TZ0TYQM5Z6XF21FAAF&psc=1&refRID=93TZ0TYQM5Z6XF21FAAF

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 13:42 »
Thanks for the offer, but I only read good old fashioned paper books, none that new fangled screen stuff for me!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 14:24 »
I love Yrsa Sigurdardottir's crime solving books, they aren't full of technological wizardry to solve things. They are the questioning, cross questioning and thinking to solve things. Her first series was about a lawyer (Thora) investigating was great as it had a spooky theme to it but always turned out to be normal. She gets involved because there's fraud or something happening and she tries to figure out what is happening to support a client or keep them out of bother.

Her second series involves a policeman as a main character. I've only read one, her second in the series and I don't know if I'll read more unless they are on sale. I'm not really into the thriller murder mystery books and scandinoir. Too grim and gory for me, but any gore is too much so I guarantee you if anyone reads this you will laugh and ask where's the gore. If you can read Grisham I imagine you'd be laughing at me speaking of gore and enjoy it. Stuart MacBride and Karin Slaughter both enjoy her books.

The Reckoning, in her police book on sale to 99p
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072F25K4R/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Yrsa is a magnificent writer' Karin Slaughter

'The queen of Icelandic thriller writers' Guardian

A chilling note written by a thirteen-year-old predicting the deaths of six people is found in a time capsule, ten years after it was buried. Can it be a real threat?

Detective Huldar turns to psychologist Freyja to help understand the child who hid the message.

But the discovery of the letter coincides with a string of murders. All of the victims match the initials from the note.

Huldar and Freyja must race to identify the writer and the murderer, before the rest of the targets are killed...

'One of the best books I've read for a long time: dark, creepy, and gripping from beginning to end.' Stuart MacBride

'Will give you thrills and chills in equal measures.' Cosmopolitan

xx
The other John Harrison

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 09:19
by madcat
xx
Olivia Newton-John RIP :-(

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2022, 11:32
by mrs bouquet
xx
Win ALL of John's books PLUS 10 packs of Suttons Seeds! Competition Time

Started by Caralou on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2022, 08:36
by Caralou

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 46 queries.