Sweetcorn

• 16 Replies

Benandbill

Sweetcorn
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:58 »
I have planted in a block but with less than 12" between shoots - probably more like 8" - 10".  I've never done it before and the seedlings were left on my plot for me by a fellow allotmenteer, so I didn't have any packet instructions to follow.  I knew they're supposed to be planted in a block so I've done 5 rows of 5, but after I planted them someone came along and told me they need to be planted at least 18" apart.  Drat!!

Does experienced in growing this think I might get some corn from these, even if just a little?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07 »
They are quite close together for full size sweetcorn, and if it were me I would carefully move every other plant to double the spacing, ang give them enough space to grow well
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:18 »
Thanks sunshineband.  Width wise I can do that but length wise I'm restricted to about 5ft.  The space I have available to grow them in is about 5ft by 16ft.  I can probably get around it by planting 3 rows instead of 5 but they won't be in a block then.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:20 »
A block doesn't need to be square: they will be fine in a rectangle  :D

Benandbill

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:27 »
Excellent, I'll sort that out this week.  All I'll have to worry about then is next door's hen that keeps escaping and nibbling around our paths  :D

simonwatson

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:48 »
I grew sweetcorn in pots last year. 4 plants to a 30 cm diameter pot. I got nice big healthy plants with most producing two cobs. 8-10 inches is positively roomy by comparison.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:59 »
I grew them at about 10" spacing last year in small blocks (4x5) and get good pollination and good-sized cobs.  Give them a good feed and keep them watered and they should be ok as they are.  The neighbouring plot grows his at 18" and provides a cane for each plant - I don't see the need fo supporting corn plants.

This year the first batch have gone out at about 10" (a long hand span*) and the second will go out at the same spacing next weekend.  If I followed the packet spacing for everything I'd never fit it all in!

* biometric plant spacing

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 12:42 »
What formation would you recommend for planting 7 sweetcorn? The only survivors!

Will these be enough to pollinate cobs?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 13:27 »
I'd plant them a little closer than recommended (say 12-15") to improve the chances of pollination. My knowledge of geometry isn't what it was so I can't suggest a particular formation - just don't plant them in a straight line.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 13:38 »
Pony girl you could plant them in 2 close parallel rows of 3 and 4.

As for spacing, farmers space them about 6" apart, which is what I do. It's contrary to 'official advice' but you never see farm crops suffering. However, you must have lots of muck in the soil to compensate for the close and heavy growth. If you're in drought, some occasional watering will greatly help.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 13:51 »
What formation would you recommend for planting 7 sweetcorn? The only survivors!

Will these be enough to pollinate cobs?
2-3-2

-x-x-
x-x-x
-x-x-

Edit: can't count.. ..
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 13:52 by Alastair-I »

Benandbill

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 17:43 »
Wow, plenty more to be thinking about there now, so with good feed and plenty of water they might be okay as they are after all?  Makes me want to start some more off now as an experiment. 

If I leave these as they are I wonder if it would be too late for me to start some more off now and space them approx 18" apart?  Assuming the ground's a bit warmer now and we're supposed to be getting near the longest day, and on that basis it is officially a summer time. perhaps I should sow direct into the plot?  I reckon if I do this I'll have to sow 2 or 3 every 18" in case some don't take and I can then thin them as necessary?

Kirpi

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 20:45 »
Benandbill - your spacing is fine. Lifting and replanting now could damage the roots.

Just keep watered (not a problem in this weather!) and brew up a nice nettle tea and use that as a nitrogen plant feed.

Benandbill

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 07:23 »
Kirpi I might just give that a bash.  Nettle tea?  Presumably that's just nettles in water?

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 12:15 »
Thanks everyone for the planting formation advice. I think I’ll give the hexagon a try. Glad the spacing doesn’t have to be to wide as my bed isn’t that big!

xx
sweetcorn

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 11:12
by JayG
xx
sweetcorn

Started by lippett76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 22:12
by gobs
xx
sweetcorn

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 08:15
by Kristen
xx
sweetcorn

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 12:49
by beesrus

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 39 queries.