sweetcorn

• 25 Replies

stompy

sweetcorn
« on: May 22, 2006, 15:04 »
This is probarbly a daft question.

How many cobs do you get off one plant. :?

(Told you it was a daft question) :)

olde9856

sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 15:38 »
Usually one sometimes 2

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
sweetcorn
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 19:46 »
i had 3 off 1 last yr but i think its best to keep to 1 per plant so all the goodness goes to 1 cob :)
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

Jake

• Rockers
sweetcorn
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 14:25 »
I don't like sweetcorn much but I planted some at the weekend for Ruppert who I go halves with.

He said to put them a foot apart, so I did. They do look very close together though and my wife seems to think the same. I'll just have to see.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
sweetcorn
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 14:31 »
i hope a foot apart is right cos that is what i have done with mine.

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
sweetcorn
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 15:02 »
Planted mine out about two weeks ago and, although they haven't died, they seem to have stopped growing. I've heard you have to be careful when transplanting them because they hate having their roots disturbed. I think (hope) they're maybe just getting their second wind.

noshed

sweetcorn
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 15:09 »
I sprayed my seedlings with seaweed extract after planting them out and they perked up mightily.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

comic_muse

sweetcorn
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 16:08 »
Just to be different mine are still growing on under cover & will be until the end of the first week in June....they hate cold & like the Tom's, Courgettes, & Squash's they'll be in  for another few days yet.  Third 'pot on', into 5" pots standing about 6" tall at the moment.  With compost as cheap as it is it's a good way to go IF you've got the space & time to mess.
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
sweetcorn
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 20:37 »
I always go 18 inches apart with sweetcorn - you can run climbing french beans up them as well.

At last the weather seems to have turned!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
sweetcorn
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 21:07 »
Great news my early crop of sweetcorn (sown febuary) germinated into 5 lil babys (of a possible 20) now 1 1/2 feet tall

My 2nd crop none germinated (of a possible 40)

My 3rd crop used 3 seed packets (almost 128 sweetcorn seeds) and 1 have germinated LMAO its been 3 weeks and they r in a heated propagator ive even just left a few pots in the greenhouse to see if the prop was wrong conditions and they aint germinated either... does any1 else have trouble with like this? I chitted half of them to see if that would help but nope :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
sweetcorn
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 21:29 »
What were you going to do with 188 sweetcorns?????

I'm glad its not just me.  I've so far got 36 from a possible 60.  I planted them out just before I went down to Kent last week and OH didn't manage to kill them off, but they were looking very pale when I came home.  OH said I planted them in the wrong place, as the ground seems to dip a little there, but perhaps it was because we've had so much rain.  I looked today, and they seem a little greener!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
sweetcorn
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 23:08 »
I reckon you would get much better germination results by chitting the seeds indoors.
Just pop them between two pieces of wet kitchen roll in a tupperware box or the like. After a few days you can see which are sprouting and plant them.
They take almost no room in the house (an airing cupboard will do).

comic_muse

sweetcorn
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 23:08 »
Blimey Pheonix.....don't know what went wrong there....not quite sure why you started in February given that they aren't really happy out until June.  Sounds as if the seed was dodgy unless they were either drowned or dryed out after germinating.  Could have been too hot I guess ?  Mine came up like cress....I think only one failed to germinate, a couple were a it slow but the other 30 ( I think) have got away well.  I'm lucky to live in a 'growing' area & have access to Growers Sundries stores where they sell Market Garden seeds as opposed to those 'dank & cold' so called 'nurseries' & those too hot, too dry Garden Emporiums.  I must admit I was taken aback by the extremely shrivelled appearance of the Foil packed seed....but it was up as quick as wink,.....inside 8 - 10 days from something akin to a bit of 'grit'.  Something seriously wrong somewhere there.

twhincup

• http://www.crazyhorsetrading.com
sweetcorn
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 10:31 »
Quote from: "mellowmick"
I've heard you have to be careful when transplanting them because they hate having their roots disturbed.

lol - I also found that out after i transferred them from 1 inch seed trays to 3 inch pots  -now i've got to get them in the ground -

BTW - can anyone explain 'hardening off' for me ?

noshed

Hardening off
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 11:03 »
This just means getting the seedlings used to being outside before you plant them out. You're supposed to bring stuff outside and then take them in at night for a few days. I've just unzipped my plastic greenhouse on good days and then left it open all the time when it got a bit warmer (then closed it up again when winter returned!)
Funnily enough the seedlings actually do get harder as they get used to being outside - some of my tomato plants got plunged into my allotment without being hardened off and they were a lot floppier than the other ones. I put a bit of protection round for a few days and they're much firmer now.
My allotment is in a nice sheltered corner whereas I have to bring things on in my liitle greenhouse on my very windy balcony - so I think most things are quite relieved when they get on the allotment!

xx
sweetcorn

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 08:15
by Kristen
xx
sweetcorn

Started by lippett76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 22:12
by gobs
xx
sweetcorn

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 10:44
by mumofstig
xx
sweetcorn

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 17:47
by flowerlady

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 40 queries.