Sweetcorn

• 17 Replies

gypsy

Sweetcorn
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:41 »
Today I found at least half of my sweetcorn cobs, which are nearly ripe, had been stripped of their leaves and most of the kernels eaten. I thought it was prob birds so have netted the remainder. What does everyone else think?
Catherine

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:55 »
This problem has been discussed several times recently on here and birds seem to be the least likely culprits - choose from deer, badgers, squirrels, mice, rats and voles depending on your local circumstances ("apologies" to any animal left off the list!  :nowink:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 13:34 »
This problem has been discussed several times recently on here and birds seem to be the least likely culprits - choose from deer, badgers, squirrels, mice, rats and voles depending on your local circumstances ("apologies" to any animal left off the list!  :nowink:)

Badgers around here.  ::) they love corn

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 14:20 »
I am pretty lucky here at Lady Mary, Cardiff. Apart from a very windy plot as its on a hill slope, there are no serious problems except perhaps with magpies and pigeons! :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 16:45 »
Every single one of mine got taken by badgers. >:(

Don't think netting would have made the slightest bit of difference. Don't think I will bother again as too depressing as they were all just a little shy of being worth picking. They haven't touched anything else. ::)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

gypsy

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 17:42 »
The cobs are still on the plant but the kernels have mostly been eaten, we do not have badgers, squirrels or deer that I know about so I am thinking birds, mice or rats. Lets hope the net works.

Ghost

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:52 »
Sorry to take it off topic, just thought better than making another sweetcorn thread.

Anyone know how long you can leave cobs on the plant for after they're ripe. How long before they are past their best?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 14:47 »
Anyone know how long you can leave cobs on the plant for after they're ripe. How long before they are past their best?

Dunno the answer, sorry, but I would prefer to leave them on the plant rather than in the fridge. The sugars start turning to starch from the moment they are picked (I have the pan on the stove, boiling, before I go to pick them ... but I'm a heathen, a purist would take the pan of boiling water TO the vegetable patch!!)

How important this still is, with the Super Sweet varieties, I don't know, but my BBQ lunch guests always rave about my sweetcorn - and all I do is grow it, pick it, boil it :)

Lots of folk pick and freeze ...

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 15:27 »
Dunno the answer, sorry, but I would prefer to leave them on the plant rather than in the fridge. The sugars start turning to starch from the moment they are picked (I have the pan on the stove, boiling, before I go to pick them ... but I'm a heathen, a purist would take the pan of boiling water TO the vegetable patch!!)

I'm impressed at your dedication to corn! Mine's eaten in the hour....but I like your style.  :)

gypsy

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 17:58 »
If you leave it on the plant when it is ripe you will be lucky if the wild life do not eat it.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 18:43 »
I had woodlice  :blink: eat the ends and insides of a few of mine...... caught loads of the little blighters at it.  Not sure they would strip the leaves off first though.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 19:08 »

I'm impressed at your dedication to corn! Mine's eaten in the hour....but I like your style.  :)

On the farm my dad always said that if we tripped whilst bringing the corn to the house from the field we were to go back and pick more as they would be too old  :D :D 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

gypsy

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 21:23 »
I had woodlice  :blink: eat the ends and insides of a few of mine...... caught loads of the little blighters at it.  Not sure they would strip the leaves off first though.
I do not think they would be able to strip the leaves off. Last yr I had earwigs inside the leaves covering the cobs when the corn was ripe for picking.

gobs

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 04:38 »
Sorry to take it off topic, just thought better than making another sweetcorn thread.

Much better frozen than left out, they go though and unenjoyable (ie: cattlefodder).
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 04:42 »
Today I found at least half of my sweetcorn cobs, which are nearly ripe, had been stripped of their leaves and most of the kernels eaten. I thought it was prob birds so have netted the remainder. What does everyone else think?

I'm of the opinion, that birds, mice and rats do not strip leaves. Quite the contrary, they eat them. The last two, certainly.

Who is peeling, husking, etc. is either squirrel or badger. More like the first...

xx
Sweetcorn.

Started by cacran on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 11:06
by cacran
xx
sweetcorn

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 23:52
by andy dewar
xx
Sweetcorn Help!

Started by Smudge on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 17:09
by David.
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 12:13
by Kristen

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 39 queries.