S-Chelate

• 2 Replies

NJH

S-Chelate
« on: June 27, 2023, 16:18 »
Hi - I ordered 2 tubs of this.  Have started the first one.  I have a couple of questions for the wise ones on this forum!
1. It looks like it is partly slightly damp already around the edges and at the base - with blue specks. Is this right.  Was kept in my utility until needed.   These damper bits seem harder to dissolve (pressure filling can and giving vigorous stir too).  Have just emailed manufacturer about this.
2. My tomatoes (same supplier for plugs, same compost - Sylvagrow, same Quadgrows etc as previous year(S)) are no where near as verdant as previously - plants look positively weedy.  Also as the fruit sets they are quickly showing signs of blossom end rot.  Being quadgrow have had constant supply of water. Google says might be calcium deficiency.
3.  Anybody else having issues?
4. Am I doing something wrong?
Added photo from 2020 for comparison taken at similar time of year
Thank you
IMG_5372.jpeg
20230627_155730.jpg
20230627_155748.jpg

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Re: S-Chelate
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 10:07 »
Hello, welcome to the forum.  :D

I don't know anything about the product you mention, I've never used it, but blossom end rot is usually caused by not enough (or irregular) water. (The fruits end up short of calcium but that's because the plant relies on flow of water round the plant to move calcium around.) You're sure the Quadgrow is working ok? If so maybe look at your ventilation. If there is too high humidity the water can't get round the plant because evaporation of water from the leaves is prevented.

Hope that helps

Windy.

Hortic

Re: S-Chelate
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 07:00 »
It looks like the shading you're using is on the inside of the greenhouse. This isn't helping and keeps the heat closer to the plants. Put it on the outside and make sure the vents are clear. The drawn weedy plants are caused by high heat and low light so remove it when not needed.

The blossom end rot is an indication of poor watering causing stress in the plant. Check your watering system is working properly.
Use bigger pots that won't dry out so easily. There isn't enough space for good root development which can lead to water stress.
I don't know about s-chealate. I use a high potassium tomato liquid fert, big pots, a solar irrigation system and have extra vents in my greenhouse. I also only use shading cloth when the outside temperature gets to, and stays at,  the high 20s. Toms come from semi-tropical/tropical areas and like it hot.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.