what tomato varieties do you / have you grown?

• 34 Replies

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« on: May 19, 2006, 19:01 »
I saw an article in the Metro newspaper a few weeks ago describing a 'new' type of tomato about to the hit the shops.  The tomato was the Tigerella! Needless to say the next day there were plenty of letters informing the paper that tigerella tomatoes were nothing new at all and that allomenteers had been growing them for years!

Since then I've been looking at some tomatoes for next year and I've found loads of unusual varieties, including an almost black tomato (Black Krim)!

What tomato varieties have people here grown before?  My current crop are Alisa Craig.

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 22:47 »
I am growing quite a lot of varieties of tomatoes:
Roma's - generally a nice eating tomato which bush up so easy to care for.

Lilliputs - bush variety cherry tomatoes brilliant little croppers - two bushes give enough cherry tomatoes for the whole family

Tumbler - in my hanging baskets cherry tomoatoes with a good flavour

Red Pear - a big beefsteak sort of tomato a bit pear shaped! very good for cooking as well as eating in salads etc

Redorta - a long fat big cooking tomato very good for making passata

Marglobe - Round, smooth, red eating tomato. Seen in markets due to its 'perfect' tomato shape. Indeterminate. Fruits of 140-150g.

Rio Grande - Similar in shape to the Roma but more productive. Fruits typically of 70-80g each. Suited for cooking, sauces and preserving.

San Marzano Follia - A bell shaped sort of tomato good for eating in salads

Black Prince - a dark red/black eating tomato with a very rich flavour

I buy all of my tomato seed from seeds of italy - they give good amounts in the packs. I have used the same packs for three years or so now.  All my tomatoes up to now were grown in pots against a warm wall. This year I have my allotment so I am going to grow some into the ground and some in the greenhouse to see how we go.
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 00:43 »
Worst I have grown were Moneymaker - tasteless.

Our favourites:
Sungold - yellow small and incredibly sweet - kiddies love them.
Garden Pearle - hanging basket tumbler - good flavour and prolific
Plum Roma -  great cooked and we tend to make sauce from them and freeze it.

This year I'm trying Ailsa Craig for the first time - more on that later in the year, I hope.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 11:42 »
My Alisa Craig are just starting to fruit, so I'll let know what they taste like in the summer!

I'm keen to try Sungold next year, they are such a gorgeous colour.

I've just googled for Seeds of Italy - looks like a great site!  I'm definitely going to get some Red Pear Franchi for next year too.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 11:55 »
Quote from: "SweetPea"
My Alisa Craig are just starting to fruit, so I'll let know what they taste like in the summer!

You little show off :)
Mine are about 18 inches high and not even a flower yet!

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 17:07 »
Hehe... well, I have one good lettuce out of about 20 and some very sad looking brassicas, so I am proud of the tomatoes! :D The Alisa Craig must be about 24in tall now or thereabouts.  My tomato success is part of the reason I've decided to grow more next year - they obviously like the conditions in the greenhouse and I like tomatoes, so who am I to argue!

I found this site earlier:

http://www.seedfest.co.uk/

Looks good!  I love the idea of pink tomatoes!

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 21:12 »
I have Roma in flower and bushing up well.  Saw some almost black tomatoes in the supermarket, at 5.99 (euro´s) for 6 gave them a miss!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 22:02 »
Quote from: "oliveview"
I have Roma in flower and bushing up well.  Saw some almost black tomatoes in the supermarket, at 5.99 (euro´s) for 6 gave them a miss!!

I'd have thought you would just throw a seed into the ground and jump bank in Spain :)
Maybe I'll move out there and grow black tomatoes at that price.

Oliveview

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 22:13 »
They didn´t look that good John, like fruit gone off! At that price they probably will go off before they are sold!

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 22:28 »
Well all i am growing is 4 ailsa craig toms (about 16" and with flowers :) ) and 4 Gardeners Delight (only bout 6") o and 1 tomato my future grandmother in law lol gave me (said its from spain dont know wot variety it is but tomatos aint got no seeds if thats any help.. that about 12" high now) Had my first beetroot today o and radish :)
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

Ali

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 18:01 »
Does anyone know of a tomato that you can grow outside that is bigger than the cherry tomatoes? I have grown Tumbler in the past,which is very nice, and I have Gardenperle this year, but I would like to grow a tomato for cooking with, and the cherry ones are a bit fiddly for that. I don't have a greenhouse. Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 18:01 »
Hi All, i'm at my daughter's in Kent at the moment.   I just hope my tomatoes are okay, being looked after by OH.  I have loads of Tres Cantos tomatoes sent to me by Oliveview in Spain, never grown them before.  Tigerella, nice stripey ones, gardener's delight lovely cherry tomatoes, Marmande and Big boy, beefsteak type, never grown before, floridity, also never grown before, mini orange, nice orangey cherry sized tomato, and yellow brandywine, also first time for me.  I love the  yellow pear, cherry sized ones, but couldn't get any this year, so i look forward to lots of new varieties this year.  Will let you know what they are like.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 19:21 »
Quote from: "Ali"
Does anyone know of a tomato that you can grow outside that is bigger than the cherry tomatoes? I have grown Tumbler in the past,which is very nice, and I have Gardenperle this year, but I would like to grow a tomato for cooking with, and the cherry ones are a bit fiddly for that. I don't have a greenhouse. Thanks

I do well with plum roma outside. I keep them indoors until they get too big then cloche to get them off to a good start.
At the end of the season I use fleece to extend as long as possible.

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 21:36 »
I grow all my tomatoes outside - up to now I have grown them next to the garage wall as the wall keeps them warm.
See my last posting further up the chain to see the types I have grown.
I am usually quite successful with this bunch.
This year I going to plant them out on the lottie so hopefully it wont be a disaster

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 09:07 »
orange pixie - very sweet and nice for eating out of hand

ailsa craig - didn't do well at all last year for me. Maybe I was just having a bad year for plants though.

orange tumbling tom - fruits were okay but I don't like having to hunt for my tomatoes and get that bright yellow tomato plant brusing stuff on my hands and the smell, yuck  :?

I don't grow many tomatoes because DH doesn't like tomatoes raw and I think it's a bit wasteful to cook them so the tomatoes are my own personal supply during the summer (usually only 2 plants but last year was 2 tumbling toms and about 4 ailsa craig). This year I'm trying out some mysterious seeds I got at the Seedy Sunday Swap (same day as Potato Day!) that just came in a brown envelope that said:
Hungarian Cherry Tomato
very small fruits

They're growing quite nice and stoutly but they aren't a bush variety as far as I can tell. I grow mine outside too, I need my greenhouse(s) for my peppers.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

xx
Tomato Varieties grown in the 1930's

Started by DeanyB1970 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 12:29
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Which potato varieties have you grown this year - 2011?

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

83 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 22:50
by hanssg
xx
Tomato varieties

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2007, 17:32
by ytyynycefn
xx
Tomato varieties

Started by Susannah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 14:36
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 39 queries.