I can’t find a treatment for coccidiosis for chickens in the UK?

• 10 Replies

Cal.

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my previous thread about my poor chicken dying abruptly last week. Well, another one of my chickens is now sick and I’m pretty sure that it’s coccidiosis. I’ve tried to purchase some treatment for it but can’t seem to find any online for poultry in the UK. My neighbour keeps pigeons and handed me an unopened bottle of coccidiosis treatment for pigeons but I’m not sure if this will be okay to use?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
I don't think that is something you can buy without a vet prescription Cal and I am really not sure about the pigeon treatment.

If you think that it is coccidiosis, I'd recommend you consult a vet.  We have a list here and also a link to another site that also has a list of vets who are good with poultry.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26140.0

grinling

Poultry can have  coccodiosis and be fine, but I would take hen to vet. They have to see what strain for antibiotics to work. Why do you think this is coccidosis?
hunched, diarrhea, lower eat and drink,ruffled feathers, pale face
most birds can be hunched and not have this. Commercial are innoculated
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:55 by grinling »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

Cal.

Hi everybody. Thanks so much for your help. I fear I’m just stressing due to one of my hens passing last week. My girls are currently being wormed and I’m scrubbing the coop like mad every few days. I don’t think it’s coccidiosis anymore considering all 8 of my girls (one who has passed) are commercial hens so would have been vaccinated. I think the panic in me is disregarding facts.

My problem is that all my girls seem absolutely fine but then I catch one on an off moment and stress about. Occasionally one of my girls will be puffed up and hunched low and appear to be falling asleep in the middle of the day. It seems to be different ones all the time. I’m totally at a loss.

Their breathing is fine. I treat the coop heavily with mite spray. The only thing I can think of is that they’re molting at the moment? A few of them are shedding feathers like mad. No snot or or mucus anything like that. Two of the bats consistently don’t look in good condition. Their combs are a little lighter than the others and they seem to have white crust/flakes constantly appear on the top of their heads. I just can’t seem to find any mites and they have access to dust baths most days - plus I treat the coop with mite spray and DE. Does it seem like mites?

I have noticed if I’m honest at the moment the girls aren’t always roosting in the same places. Sometimes they’re all on the perches, sometimes some are on the floor etc. Tonight 6 were on the perches and one was on the floor. I even ran a tissue underneath the perches tonight to check for red mite and couldn’t find anything.

I’m really at a loss on what to do? Any help would be really appreciated I’m so sorry to keep asking for it.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
See this thread about how hens can have flakes of white on their heads at the end of moulting.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=133692.msg1543584#msg1543584

A heavy parasite load can drag a hen down, so while they are in the process of being wormed, it may take a week or so before they perk back up.  Also moulting can be a bit wearisome for them.  Sleeping during the day is not uncommon.   Mine often stuff themselves, then have a siesta.  Combs go darker and redder when a hen is laying and go pale when off lay.  Moulting usually means they stop laying.

I think you are maybe stressing and then every little thing seems like disaster, but if they are eating and drinking that is a good start.  You are being vigilant with checking the coop and making sure it is clean, so that is another good thing.  Their breathing is OK - that is another plus.

Ex-bats have been pushed hard and they don’t have long lives really.  It is quite common to lose them within a year or so of getting them, but they will have had a heck of a time in retirement while they were with you.  Just because 1 didn’t make it, it doesn’t mean the rest will follow any time soon.

Try and relax, but don’t worry about asking for advice  :)

Cal.

Thank you so much New shoot for your encouraging and thoughtful reply. Yes I think they may just be going through molting and like you say they have been pushed to the extremes during their lives so I’m just going to stop stressing as much and step back and let them enjoy their retirement with me. It does seem like their white dusts on their head is down to their molting and I’ll wait it out a couple of weeks whilst they are wormed and get over their worming. Thank you so much. :) x

Debz

I thought one of my girls had this and took them to the vets.  I was told that the medicine would cost £80 and they could get it in for Monday (this was Saturday).   She had a wee look online and found that Verm-X sold by Pets at Home was recommended.  I went straight there and got some (cost £15) and the hen recovered.  Now I don't know that the hen actually had coccidiosis because they were ex bats and I hadn't known they were inoculate but whatever good it did, it certainly didn't do any harm.

grinling

Verm X is a worm preventative, contains lots of herbs, Flubenvet is a curative.

Ex bats can live 3 to 4 years, but the breed produces loads of eggs and are auto sexed, year 3 and 4 not a lot of eggs.
Sooty, a Scot's Dumpy, is staying inside the house quite a bit as she is moulting, this also includes scales on legs.
I have a Haynes manual on chickens, which is very helpful on all aspects of chicken keeping with lots of pictures.

Cal.

Great to hear Debz.

Going to purchase that manual now Grinling after your recommendation and reading reviews. Thank you :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
The Haynes manual is a good one Cal.  I am sure you will find it useful.

I don’t know if you have found the poultry pages on the main part of the site, but there are a lot of advice articles in there as well  :)

https://www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/

xx
coccidiosis treatment

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 00:13
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Coccidiosis In Chickens and Pecking Order established - unfortunately!

Started by 4feathers on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 09:21
by joyfull
xx
Treatment for Favus (fungal infection of chickens combs)

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 12:25
by hillfooter
xx
Coccidiosis !

Started by lynsnow on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 18, 2011, 08:51
by joyfull

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 52 queries.