Push-pull mower - sharpening

• 4 Replies

Kirpi

Push-pull mower - sharpening
« on: May 07, 2013, 14:13 »
I took my Qualcast push-pull mower to the local mower repairs and maintenance and the chap there told me it would cost more to sharpen the blades than it would to buy a new push-pull. I only bought it maybe two years ago.

The blades are not pitted or chipped and they seem to scissor ok against the sole plate, but they don't cut grass that is over 2 inches long - as on my allotment paths.

I thought there was some kind of emery cloth tape that you stick to the sole plate and "mow" the cylinder round a few times to ground the cutting edge, then close the blade down slightly to get the scissoring edge back.

Am I wrong?

At the moment, I have my name down on a reconditioned petrol rotary mower for £65.00. As they are the local mower repairs shop around here, I would hope that is a good price and they would wan't to keep my custom. It does seems to be the path of least problems to just buy the rotary mower.

I have a patch of grass around the compost bins and shed and one shared grass path between my neighbour and I.

8doubles

Re: Push-pull mower - sharpening
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 14:33 »
Cylinder mowers are not really suited to thick or long grass, push mowers even less so ! :D
As you say if the cylinder scissors nicely on the bottom blade no serious sharpening is needed.

Are these what you are looking for ,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Sharp-1101-Cylinder-Mower-Sharpener-12in-/230920770119

Never used them myself .

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 15:13 »
Thank you. That might work.

The other approach (again - eBay) is to put Auto Valve Grinding Paste along the blade and run the cyclinder backwards to keen the edge and then readjust to the cutting bar if needed.

As you say, the cylinder mower doesn't really take to longer grass, so I may go for the reconditioned rotary mower for a quiet life.

willp

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 17:28 »
The other approach (again - eBay) is to put Auto Valve Grinding Paste along the blade and run the cyclinder backwards to keen the edge and then readjust to the cutting bar if needed.

This is what I do with my old push along mower - works a treat. The trick is to not let the grass get to long though.

The big advantage of the push along is that it`s not a major faff to wheel it out and have a quick run around with it every few days in the summer. It`s intrinsically much lighter, needs no fuel and is very manouverable

Will

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 20:44 »
Mr Sunny sharpens the blades on ours using a file, in the same way he sharpens the sickle. Just a few strokes and it seems to do the trick

It keeps the grass on the front verge neat and tidy with a weekly run over. Quick clip with the shears on any longer edge bits that lie down flat, and there y'go  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Push or Pull?

Started by Aidy on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 11:39
by Aidy
clip
My 'new' push mower

Started by vikingraider on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 28, 2024, 12:32
by vikingraider
xx
Push along mower recommendations

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2020, 16:38
by GraciesGran
xx
What hand push mower you recommend

Started by grinling on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 20:00
by Lardman

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 39 queries.