Letting new girls out into garden

• 7 Replies

chickyroo

« on: September 18, 2008, 12:37 »
Hi everyone
Some of you will have seen my post a few days ago, I lost one of my girls after letting her out the day after I got her (still not sure what happened).  I got another girl on Sunday, so she has had five days in the coop, the other sussex has had 7 days, my 2 marans have stayed in doors all week as well.  So the big question is, can I let them out yet?  They are all looking a bit sad and it is a lovely sunny day. What do you think?
Thanks

Chickyroo x

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 15:49 »
Why not let them out under supervision say 1/2 hour have you clipped their wings ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

chookiepaula

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 17:22 »
i get some chicken wire and make a small coop for them for a day or two then increase it and eventually take it away - they seem to be much calmer with this rather than getting so excited about freedom they run away!
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

chickyroo

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 22:00 »
Thanks.  I let them out under close supervision, they wandered around and then went back into the nice clean house that I had prepared for them!  As for clipping wings, no I havent, how and when should I do this?  They are 18/20 wks old.

Thanks again  :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 22:07 »
I did mine just before I let them free range for the 1st time, (yesterday) I got them on Saturday at 14-15wks.
Noticed the other day that my original girlies which are 18wks were doing some pretty good flying around the garden? even though I had clipped their wings! turns out cause I did it when they were about 12-14 wks they had moulted them ones and grown some nice new ones!!!!! :?  So they got the chop too, Anik-hen told me off cause she could get onto the decking banister before, but flew straight into it after their trim  :lol:  :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 22:08 »
crikey!  my lot would have pecked a hole in the wall to get out after 5 days!!!  

I didn't even do the 'home imprinting' thing on them when I got them (didn't have the heart) and they all found their way to bed without any help whatsoever  :D

I agree with Paula and Richy and make sure they're supervised if you're  if you're nervous about them being out seeing as one has gone missing but unless you have gaps that they can squeeze out of or a fox/dog can get in then you may be causing yourself stress for no reason.  Just like kids have to fall down to know why not to run, chooks have to learn to be savvy for themselves  :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:42 »
Aunty shows a good picture of wing clipping in This thread  :D

chickyroo

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 21:34 »
Thanks for the replies, Im going to try clipping the wings tomorrow, the sussex seem to be quite flighty so I think they need to be done, the marans are usually far to busy eating to try and fly but i will clip them if i can catch them!

We have settled on names now, Henny and Penny (marans) Daisy and Dora (Sussex).  :D

xx
Concerns about letting the girls free range

Started by Jacinta on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 07:31
by gracie
xx
letting chickens roam the garden

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 16:06
by grumpydad
xx
Letting chicks out

Started by Vivian on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 14:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
Letting chickens out of pen

Started by gracie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 07:53
by lucywil

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 35 queries.