Weed control fabric

• 3 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Weed control fabric
« on: October 28, 2019, 20:20 »
Hi,

Looking back on this year the weeds beat me.

Next year I am going to try using weed fabric, cut holes into it and plant through them.

The stuff I will get is advertised as breathable and permuble but I worry that it might create a environment that allows pests and fungal disease to thrive.

Does anyone have experience of using this method?  Did it work or did it swap one problem (weeds) for another (increase in pests and/or disease)

Thanks.

jambop

Re: Weed control fabric
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 13:54 »
I suppose it could be different from on plant type to another but I have grown my strawberries that way without any problem at all.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 17:28 »
we have always grew our strawberries in breathable groundcover and they have cropped very well I have also grew onions the same way but I found the did slightly better planted out in the open ground but I know people who do grow there veg in breathable groundcover and they have very good results it also supresses the weeds

I'm told if you prepare the ground well before planting then there's no problem and remember as its breathable you can still use a liquid feed so it feeds the plants not the weeds

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 20:19 »
I grow fruit bushes, strawberries, brassicas, onions, leeks, sweetcorn, courgettes and winter squash/pumpkins all through weed control fabric, with no problems. You will get slugs unless you use pellets or traps - but I don't think there are any more than in my uncovered beds.
Make sure you buy the heavy duty 100gpsqm woven fabric (the cheaper kinds degrade very quickly, so not worth it in the long run) Some of mine must be about 10 years old now.

xx
Weed control fabric

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 23:07
by meterman
question
Weed control fabric

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 00:07
by Salmo
xx
Weed control fabric

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 20:17
by jay001
xx
Weed control fabric

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 09:24
by Larkshall

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 40 queries.