Making willow Christmas decorations

• 7 Replies

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« on: December 03, 2008, 10:45 »
I am currently offering large and medium/small willow stars to members here: http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=27264
but the giant ones I can make (ie far too big for an A4 envelope :( ) will be too much hassle for me to post.

They are all very easy to make, I used these instructions: http://www.wondertree.co.uk/willow_star.pdf

As well as willow, you could try hazel, dogwood etc - basically anything that is thin, flexible and "whippy".

I made some 2ft tall with the star about 10 inch across with help from a 6 and 10 year old. Great fun and then we put a string of "pound store" battery fairy lights on em! If you are looking for a fun credit-crunch activity for kids (or for daft adults like me) then I'd recommend having a go.

amc

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:32 »
ahh thats a shame, but thanks for the link will see if I can have a go with the children  :)

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:29 »
Hi beetroot queen,

I've got you down for the small/medium ones which I'll post out to you in a day or three - they'll fit in a standard A5 envelope as a "large letter". If you want a "large" star instead - that will fit in an A4 envelope - pls PM me.

When I say giant, I mean HUGE :) - its going to the post office with a great big, massive parcel that I won't have the time to do... The instructions are there for those who want to have a go at the giant to huge versions... which are v.pretty when lit up!

amc

Ygerna

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 16:00 »
Got the stars today AMC. They are terrific, thank you!

I am actually going to be sending them to someone as part of a secret santa gift, the theme for which is homemade/organic/work at home parent. I've got a couple of other things sorted but thought these would be a perfect little addition :D

I've done the donation :D

hippy hen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 21:33 »
:idea: hi AMC im a new member and have had a very enjoyable time going through the different messages.  have just read the details of the willow star and will be out tomorrow having a go so as to show my grandchildren, as we all like crafting, thank you for sharing the info.
while i was in cornwall i attended a celebration earth day, anyone attending had to take a handful of earth from the garden with them.
it turned out that the organisers were making big pictures of the sun,moon,stars,windetc. the words were written in rounded overlapped graffity. the words were left blank, but all around the writting everone who attended were encouraged to paint whatever pattern they wonted around the words......they provided cut offs of plastic bottles to make paint holders, the paint was made from the earth, they ground it to smooth powder then added a good squirt of pva glue and hotish water, when mixed this made great waterproof paint and with all the different colours of earth they looked mega.  i was amazed at the amount of different colour of brown there are.  its a good theme for schools and kids anywhere, under supervision.  i have now started collecting samples of earth in small jam jars from where ever i travel home and away ready for this next summer hols to entertail the new influx of children who have come to live on our housing estate.  its real good fun. (sorry this is so long winded)  from hippy hen(oap hippy chick)

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40 »
Hi hippyhen

hope the grandkids like em, I'm sure you'll be onto a winner!
amc

PS if you not already done so it'd be worth introducing yourself on "welcome to the forums".

suze

Re: Making willow Christmas decorations
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 14:02 »
Hello.... I would like to make some willow stars but the link doesn't seem to work ? Does anyone know of any other links with instructions and preferably pictures too...Thanks

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
Re: Making willow Christmas decorations
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 09:50 »
Here is another link:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/schoolgardening/uploads/documents/willow%20star_750.pdf

Just to be clear I'm not able to make stars this year. Ta amc

xx
Christmas decorations

Started by hermon on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post December 17, 2007, 18:43
by DD.
xx
Making your own shelving

Started by Jai on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 16:53
by Jai
xx
Making candles

Started by Asherweef on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post September 25, 2013, 17:14
by Caretaker
xx
making money from moss??

Started by rozalia on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 12:43
by spottymint

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 33 queries.