Which layers pellets?

• 8 Replies

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
Which layers pellets?
« on: December 20, 2011, 22:41 »
I currently use small holders organic layers pellets. They were on special offer when I first got Alice, and a very helpful lady spent ages telling me the virtues of said pellets.

Well the girls seem to do OK on them though we do get a couple of softies now and then despite providing grit etc, but they are expensive. My current supplier recommends Humphries, but I don't want to change and upset the girls just because it's cheaper if it's not as good.

What do you use and what's the best?

Thanks

Christine
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Which layers pellets?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:02 »
first of all the small holder range is not organic but gm and medication free, the same company does make organic pellets and these are from the organic feed company. They are more costly as the care that is needed to guarantee they remain free from such additives, they have to be stored and manufactured in separate stores even the lorries have to be cleaned out before carrying them to prevent cross contamination. I started out with organic feed and do prefer the taste of the yolks however the cost is prohibitive when you have more than a few chickens. I can't comment on the make you have mentioned as I have never heard of them but I would suggest you try just a small sample as hens can be picky and may not like the taste.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:52 »
I use Farm Gate layers pellets, they are a lot cheaper than the Smallholder pellets but still GM free. Farm Gate Feeds have a good website listing details of each feed type.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 15:50 »
Hi layers pellets are basicly all made from the same ingreedence the only difference is GM free which means all grains used are grown from gm free seed, and organic is grown without any use of fertilisers except natural and no pesticides, there are cheaper varieties on the market where the grains are from modern farming practices, most of the cerials and bread we eat are grown in this way so i dont see the need to buy expensive layers pellets just because the way they are grown  :)
Chicken crazy

mr.mellow

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 15:53 »
I feed Dobson & Horrell layers pellets. ;)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 15:57 »
The cheapest i have found is argo i pay £7.50 for 20kg

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 19:04 »
Thanks everyone for your replies, joyful, your right I got carried away with typing and added the organic in error.

The price isn't a major issue as I only have four of the little bleeders, but after being told Humphries was better I wanted to gauge what everyone thought. Especially as I have to order small holders in specially and they carry the other in stock.

Perhaps that's why he wants me to swap brands  :mad:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 20:39 »
I buy my pellets at several different places, depending where I'm passing as I try not to go out specially.  The different places sell different brands and my girls aren't fussy.  They all have very similar listings of ingredients and they're all eaten at about the same rate.

So, unless you have very picky chickies, try a bag of something else & see how they get on with it.
ManicMum

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 20:41 »
I used Farmgate when I got my hens but changed to a local made brand Nutripeck as I checked the labels and all the levels were the same.  The only difference was the price!

I get mine from Millbry Hill as they have a local store to me.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Layers Pellets

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 00:20
by Caralou
xx
Layers pellets HELP!!!

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

53 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 21:53
by WR1
xx
layers pellets

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 09:22
by muntjac
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 11:00
by Dreamer@45

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 39 queries.