Has anyone grown New spuds for Christmas day?

• 17 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 17:13 »
My Christmas potatoes didn't actually grow to maturity this past year, as a storm wrecked the greenhouse and they got devastated, so I chucked them out, but i ad some last year, grown in 12inch pots in greenhouse and covered with fleece when it was really cold!!  Harvest wasn't great, but we did get a dish of new potatoes on New Year's day, and they were supermarket Charlotte's tht I planted.  Will try again this year, but in the polytunnel and extra protected by fleece.

WG.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 17:44 »
Quote from: "deneview"
what about buy a few  new potatoes from supermarket, keep in fridge till planted out in april, may fool them into sprouting
New potatoes will typically be on "Egypt time" or "Cyprus time" but should still work.  Personally, I would leave them out in full light and air to go green before you put them in the fridge.

Quote from: "liz from the fizz"
:!:    desprain please explain.

:idea: Is it simply knocking off the growing shoots :?:
Yes  :)

David.

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 21:40 »
Quote from: "WG"

Reckon you couldn't replant this year's tubers & expect them to grow in August. They need a prolonged period of dormancy before they will re-sprout. You could put some in your fridge now & desprain them a couple of times. Or buy from T&M

I planted Charlotte & International Kidney end Feb/early Mar in bags in cold frames, then taken out and put in empty compost/manure/straw bays and covered when cold, and expect to harvest next month so I could keep them cool for a while until end Aug

Top of mesh is 1 metre high. The ones in the pots were planted later and are going to have polythene dpm collars/be earthed up. B&Q black rubble bags are bigger and 10p each.

And, but don't quote me, when I asked the man from T&M if I could simply use my own tubers he said he didn't see why not but they probably would not be virus free.

xx
Christmas dinner - most home grown

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 10:40
by sunshineband
xx
Pot grown spuds

Started by sonnycbr on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 18, 2016, 15:42
by snow white
xx
spuds grown in tubs

Started by clifford149 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 20:08
by shaun
xx
New Spuds At Christmas?

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 18:52
by peapod

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 38 queries.