Bedding for chicken house

• 6 Replies

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
Bedding for chicken house
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:34 »
Would anyone be able to advise me please what is best to use in the hen house and nesting boxes.  We are getting our first chooks tomorrow and have been given so much conflicting advise as to what to use.  We thought straw would be best, but other people have said that we should be using sawdust.

We are going to get the bedding etc tonight and want to make sure they have the best we can get them.

Thanks in advance for your help.
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

Foxy

Re: Bedding for chicken house
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56 »
They will be fine with just good woodshavings(dust extracted) in the house with straw (not hay) in the nestboxes.

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29 »
Hi all, I used Woodshavings and straw when I first got my chickens but the shavings got all over the garden and they kept pulling all the straw out of the nest boxes!!!! :tongue2: I gave up as we have to keep ours in the run (unless we are up the garden all day) as Mr Fox took one of ours and I am now paranoid  :blink:

At the moment it is bare but does get a little messy! so I am looking for an alternative to shavings!

has anybody used Hemcore it is alot heavier more fiberous than shavings and very absorbant as I have used it for the rabbits before and I was also thinking of using stable zone or something simlar (which is a safe natural disinfectant powder that goes under the bedding and absorobes wet and odours)

ta Trina
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 18:08 by trinacooke »
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 16:44 »
I only use wood shavings in the shed and nestbox, no complaints from the girls :o)

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 16:48 »
started to use hemcore in the house, and straw in the nestboxes, you can google hemcore bedding to go to the manufacturers site, and will be able to find a local supplier from there, the hemcore i have is citronella treated !!!!!, smells nice, not sure it is appreciated though..lol

martyn

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 07:17 »
Thank you very much for your advice.  We have got the wood shavings, straw and everything else the girls will need.  We will get it all in their house ready to pick them up tonight.  Just can't come quick enough.   :)

mamashango184

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 10:03 »
I line my coop with newspaper, then spread wood shavings and shredded paper i make myself from the all the junk mail i receive.  Once your ready to clean coop, just roll the paper up  and pull it out the coop, and its a nice wee poop package ready to throw in the composter.

xx
House flooring/bedding

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 09:50
by Willow_Warren
xx
Chicken Bedding

Started by stujem on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 20:05
by jinty1911
xx
Bedding killed my Chicken

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 08:07
by Sassy
xx
New chicken house

Started by avilla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 05:12
by terri

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.