Foxgloves

• 15 Replies

spottymint

Foxgloves
« on: October 25, 2012, 19:01 »
Hi

Who thinks it may be a good idea to sow some foxglove seeds now, outside in a tray with it covered over ?

I ask as I have been searching for "Shirley" foxgloves & after sourcing seeds from 1 UK company, the rest being in America, I'd like to get some growing, sooner rather than later, but being hard to source & the UK supplier being pricey, I don't to waste the seeds.

Thanks, spotty.  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Foxgloves
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 19:45 »
They should be OK, bearing in mind that they would have scattered from late flowering plants a week or two ago.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

spottymint

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 19:52 »
Well, that's what I was thinking. A lot of foxgloves are self sown & survive the winter alright.

Spana

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 20:32 »
I dont think you'll gain a lot by sowing now. The self sown seeds from this year wont germinate until next year for flowering the following year.
If you sow now you might lose them over winter if its wet and cold, so i'd wait until next spring.

Or you could sow a few now as an experiment ::) then you'll know what to do in other years :)

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 20:37 »
Why not try two or three methods of sowing if the seeds are hard to get? I have just germinated some in my propagator (different variety), they came up really fast and also have some sown in a pot outside, just experimenting really to see which way is best. The self sown ones outdoors germinated a while back. I hope you are successful whichever way you try :)

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 22:16 »
Keep in mind that once you have them growing they can become a bit of a nuisance. I sowed some because I like wild flowers but the self-seeded ones are starting to dominate the border and grew to over 2 metres high this year.

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:46 »
 :lol: Yes mine self seed everywhere! I don't mind though as any I don't want (and there are literally hundreds!) pull  out very easily. The only things that I mind self seeding are things that are difficult to remove :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:23 »
I sowed the apricot coloured ones in seed trays and planted them out.....they were beautiful for 2 years, but I've had none since :(

Perhaps I should try the 'ordinary' ones instead ;)

spottymint

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 09:35 »
I would love it if they self seeded, but my garden is one where nothing seems to self seed.

Not even poppies like self seeding or even growing here, yet they self seed in the pavement cracks around the corner ?  :unsure:

The one's I'm trying to grow (foxgloves)  are a very large flowered form, grown in the 1800's by a Vicar in Shirley, Surrey. Now apart from Chiltern seeds, all suppliers seem  to be American, very odd for what appears to be an English form (Shirley Foxglove).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46 »
The Shirley strain was replaced in the catalogues by the Excelsior strain of foxgloves, that's probably why you can only find them at Chiltern seeds  :(

spottymint

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22 »
Thanks mum, nice to know.

Trouble is I get bored of all the same plants everywhere.

Large chain garden centres being the worst.

allotmentann

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 15:58 »
Thanks mum, nice to know.

Trouble is I get bored of all the same plants everywhere.

Large chain garden centres being the worst.

Couldn''t agree more. Same few plants offered by most of the garden centres.One of the reasons that it is so nice to grow your own. I am wondering though with the new varities of foxglove that I am growing if they will cross pollinate and I will end up with all the same type in the end anyway?
Poppies self seed everywhere in my garden too. I suspect you have better soil than me. My soil is a quite sandy loam. Actually I have a foxglove blooming now which is a bit odd! ???

spottymint

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 17:57 »
I have just looked at the 3 packs ordered from Chilterns, lots of seed & I have some winging their way from America, so will risk sowing some under cover to over winter.

Experiment & see how it goes, sowed some Viola Odorata seeds, see how they fare too.

allotmentann

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 18:53 »
Do let us know how you get on. Hope that you have lots of lovely foxgloves next year :)

sion01

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 16:03 »
I sowed sowed some foxgloves late last year and germination was really poor.I put it down to the decreasing light levels .What did germinate was weak and prone to die at the first little excuse.I made a mental note never to sow any latter then August.

xx
Foxgloves

Started by Welsh Girls Allotment on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 12:55
by mdueal
xx
Foxgloves

Started by Flowertot on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 22:32
by Flowertot
xx
Foxgloves

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 18:06
by spottymint
xx
Foxgloves and Sea Holly

Started by Alec_Macpherson on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 17:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 34 queries.