How to divide Hostas ?

• 4 Replies

garddwr

How to divide Hostas ?
« on: April 16, 2011, 23:50 »
Hello,

I'm planning on dividing some relatives hostas next week, all sorts of varieties of them, there about 3 or 4 years old, I hope to use them in my newly dug shady border.

I've seen this video by Monty Don, however it doesn't go into details
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/hostas-dividing/

Firstly has anyone tried this method that Monty uses ^ ? Seems simple enough but I wont be able to plant them straight away so how should I ensure they don't die in transit ?

And when I plant the other half back in their garden, should I add some bagged manure or bonemeal that I have spare ?

Any advice on this ?

Thanks
G :)

viettaclark

Re: How to divide Hostas ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 00:25 »
The video is pretty clear. If you need to transport them wrap in soaking wet newspaper then a carrier. As long as they don't dry out they should be fine.
Monty's earth is very rich so he didn't add any manure or fertilizer. You can add both if your soil isn't so good.
Then buy a big pot of slug pellets.... :ohmy: :D

garddwr

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 17:03 »
Great thanks for that :) I should be sorted to do it tomorrow then, I'll add some manure and bonemeal (is that oK ? I know it feeds the roots, or is that no good for a foiliage plant ?) to my relatives soil to say thank you and to ensure they are just as good for the summer and hopefully I can bulk up their collection as well.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 17:07 »
Root feeding is what you need to get your plants established so I would go for it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 17:09 »
I worked for a hosta grower and the easiest way to divide them is with a long bladed flat head screwdriver. Just wiggle it into the centre, then wiggle apart the sections. Far less root damage as you're not sawing into the roots themselves and the roots will naturally split apart at suitable areas. You can divide as many times as you like.

Then either keep damp somehow or replant into an amended area since previous plants will have depleted nutrients. and yes, BFB is good, as is compost and a bit of manure (not too much). For older varieties, definitely need slug pellets. Newer varieties have tougher leaves that slugs don't care for.

xx
Hostas

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 04:07
by Trillium
xx
Hostas

Started by holywear on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 17:42
by DATA311
xx
Hostas

Started by Briony on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 17:48
by FRUITFULL
xx
how to and when to divide a large Gunnera plant

Started by loobs61 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 17:30
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 34 queries.