3hp

• 9 Replies

captainhastings

3hp
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:30 »
Think of buying a an old nortlet 3 hp Rotavator but would 3hp be powerful enough do you think.
I have a mantis tiller at the moment but it makes a meal of large areas so I just wanted some thing to trundle over the plot once i have hand turned over. Every one else seem to have these old Rotavators and they make it look easy
Thank you

Snoop

Re: 3hp
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 15:39 »
Maybe you could ask someone you know if you could give theirs a try, even if it's on their land, just so as you get a feel for one. I don't know the rotavator you're talking about, but I do know big ones aren't as easy as they look. OK in a straight line but hard work round corners and not that manoeuvrable due to their weight.

captainhastings

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:40 »
there is also this local a year and half old in good order but not sure if its a cheapo job and i would be better going for the old nortlett mmm
http://www.alpina-garden.com/products/en/blower-recycling/211360040-13-pc-ti-36-g.html

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:50 »
The Alpina isn't all that heavy, but it's only got one forward gear, no reverse. You'll want to see how easy it is to get round a corner. They don't tell you who makes the engine in the specs, which might make a difference to how long it will last you.

Maybe you could just hire a bigger rotavator at the start of the season. Might work out cheaper than buying one and would certainly give you a feel for whether a big one really is the answer to your problems.

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 22:38 »
3hp is big enough. I have turned part of a field into a garden using my old 3hp Merry Tiller. Not easy, but possible. Bigger engines are heavier, and you are usually limited on how much power you can put down by belt slip anyway. Take a look at the rotors on the Norlett and the Alpina, I bet the Norlett's are much stronger.
R Tallentire

captainhastings

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 16:08 »
thanks for the advice folks in the end i went for the old girl. What swung is i have an ancient mower in the shed that hadn't started for 2 years yet third pull yesterday off she went. COmpared to a newer one that  was run last year that * wouldn't start at all.
This seems to start second pull every time one for the choke then away she goes. It is heavy but not too heavy seems just the ticket.
Typically is lashing down with rain now so won't get to play for a while. Not sure what sort of maintenance these belt driven ones need

captainhastings

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 19:11 »
on another note can any one id the old girl ?
It is a nortlett but i was wondering which one
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 19:38 by captainhastings »

captainhastings

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 08:08 »
better pic

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 10:12 »
No idea what it is, but it'll outlast the Alpina, no trouble! Looks like you've got a good buy.  :)

Dopey113

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 14:43 »
captainhastings, I have almost the same one, had a devil of a time finding a new air filter, so I will give you a heads up, I got this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191714999102?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 30 queries.