worming

• 7 Replies

bullielover

worming
« on: January 12, 2011, 17:34 »
Hi can anyone give me advice on how often my chickens will need worming.
thanks
catherine

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 17:36 »
This is a question that is cropping up a lot reently.

Do have a read of our worms topic

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4348.0

bullielover

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 18:19 »
Thank you for your reply. The flubenvet appears to be the most popular treatment but I purchased my chickens from sarah at happy chicks who has recommended using smite, though I presume this is down to individual preference.

Thanks
catherine

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 19:27 »
Smite is a different brand of diatomaceous earth. 

Use at 5% in feed is the manufacturer's recommendation.

pekinpete

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 21:14 »
flubenvet is good to use for all types of poultry, instructions say twice a year but i also put a glove of garlic in water all year round and find this also helps keeping birds free of mites and keeping birds in good health.people take garlic so why not use it on poultry.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 22:18 »
flubenvet is good to use for all types of poultry, instructions say twice a year but i also put a glove of garlic in water all year round and find this also helps keeping birds free of mites and keeping birds in good health.people take garlic so why not use it on poultry.

Garlic is just about a cure for everything - or is it just a load of old folklore?

HF
Truth through science.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 23:55 »
Our breeder recommends a four week cycle, week 1 water + garlic, week 2 water, week 3 water + Apple cider vinegar, week 4 water

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 01:17 »
Our breeder recommends a four week cycle, week 1 water + garlic, week 2 water, week 3 water + Apple cider vinegar, week 4 water

ACV of course another good old folksy cure all.  ACV became a cult tonic in the 50's when some American published a best selling book about the medicinal benefits of some foods and supplements.  ACV became a fad tonic though now it just exists in the supplements catalog and as and animal tonic.

ACV has all sorts of magical powers too including treating irregular heart beat, "warding off" certain cancers, aiding digestion, lowering bad cholesterol, strengthening the heart, lowering blood pressure, stabilizing blood sugar, relieving sore throats, slowing the aging process, relieving leg cramps, soothing sunburn, controlling dandruff and itchy scalp, curing athletes foot, cures constipation, reduces intestinal odours?, prevents kidney stones, "flushing harmful toxins from the system" (presumably it doesn't work on the unharmful toxins!),  preventing colds and flu, helping with arthritis and weight loss.  I probably missed a few things it either cures or "helps with".  The one benefit I particularly like is that it apparently "helps to alkalyse the body" despite it being highly acidic.

ACV and garlic are probably harmless so if you think they help go ahead and use them however if they had just a tenth of the benefits herbalists claim them you can bet we'd all be being force fed them by the NHS to save billions.

HF

xx
worming

Started by Trisha on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 22:56
by Tazzy
xx
worming?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 22:53
by ReaderRabbit
question
worming

Started by cluckychuck on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 10:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
worming

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2008, 22:39
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 32 queries.