Perches

• 3 Replies

lamina

Perches
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:51 »
Hi,
My chicken run is designed and I am accumulating all the stuff that I need.

So now my attention is turning to the coop.

I have googled extensively and it seems there are a number of different views about perches.

So, my question is :
Should perches be the same height in the coop or should they be set at a different heights.
Some commercial coops have the latter - all the books suggest that the perches be at the same height?
The spacing seems to vary as well - some seem very close - say about 5" apart whereas others are 10" apart.
All suggest wooden rails between 1.5"  and 2" wide 

I would really appreciate your thoughts on perches

Richard

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Perches
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 10:20 »
Hi I like the perches to be level else they all try to get on the highest point as the higher you roost the higher up the pecking order you are.
As for size mine are made from 2" x 3" slightly rounded off at the edges and the set so the hens perch on the widest measurement. If I had more than one perch I would look at 10" apart at least and allow about 10" per bird on the perch. Thats how mines done hope this helps  :)

Forgot to add make sure the perch is removable so you can get at the ends easy for cleaning and dusting.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Stree

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 13:10 »
I used sections of Elder branches, about inch and a half diameter, its just a nice size for them to grip and easily replaceable.
and any excuse to cut down the neighbours overhanging elders is  a bonus !

GTO

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 06:53 »
Hi

My perches are 2" x 3" rounded off to which i keep bantam & large fowl. I only keeps a few birds in each flock about 6 or 8 birds which they have plenty of room inside my coops & i fit perches at different heights which they seem to really enjoy. I find most of my birds sleep on the top highest perch all huddled up together. As long as you fit enough high perch space for all your birds to use together you should have no problem. But don't go to high as your birds can hurt there feet when they jump down in the morning !! And it's best to keep there bedding thick so they get a softer landing when jumping down from the higher perches.

John

xx
Perches

Started by ness on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 21:52
by ness
xx
How far apart should perches be?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 18:08
by mad chicken
question
Perches

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 09:25
by ehs284
xx
Perches.

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 19:31
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 36 queries.