I'm still having problems getting the girls to eat veg

• 23 Replies

Rubellite

Re: I'm still having problems getting the girls to eat veg
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 22:06 »
Spring greens. (I shouldn't really be telling you this).
I hang mine about a foot off the ground and they love it!
Savoy cabbage seems to be too tough.
Had a bag of mixed leaves just past best, spinach, rocket watercress etc. I washed it and emptied it on the floor and they ate the lot! I think it is because it is tender.
Don't you worry if Mavis doesn't eat her greens, Myrtle does! :tongue2:

shiatsusu

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 22:08 »
 :tongue2:

shiatsusu

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 22:24 »
This is slightly off thread (what's new pussycat?  :lol:) but I've just got a fluffy chicken (stuffed toy) which i'd bought for my little boy then decided it was far too nice so kept it ( :lol:) anyway, long story short it (he- gerald)'s been travelling in an envelope for a month because he got lost in the post, he finally ended his epic journey by arriving this morning, god knows where he's been, I fell in love and gave him pride of place on the bread bin, took him into the sitting room to show the family this evening, left him for A SPLIT SECOND and the wretched puppy promptly sneaked him off the sofa and has eaten one eye and his splendid comb and left him with a hole in his head :ohmy: I'm heartbroken and cross  :( :( HTB has suggested we sew him a replacement eye and comb...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 22:27 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Pet's - you gotta love'm  ::)

Carolyn

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 01:31 »
My chuckslike their veg, except carrots and turnip. Have you tried cooking it with pasta or rice? Mine love it. They are very contrary though. My hens won't touch raw savoy cabbage but will eat it cooked, yet they love spring greens and kale. My banties, however, love savoy. Chucks would never touch leeks or raw sprouts until I got ducks who love them, now my leeks are down to 3 inch stubs and my sprouts have about 5 leaves right at the top of their stalks! Have you tried lettuce? Worth a go

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 08:03 »
Mine go mad for comfrey & sorrel leaves. Easy to grow in an odd corner of the garden & perennial, so a 1 off investment means they get their greens for 9 months of the year for free.

Over the depths of winter if I think they could do with some extra veg, I buy them bags of those really cheap 'Greens' Tesco do in a big bag - usually well under £1.

I think the leafier stuff is their favourite, although mine also go scatty for over ripe tomatoes cut in 1/2, apples cut in 1/2, lettuce or salad leaves of any description, frozen peas, strawberries.....take the leftovers out on one of your dinner plates or a pan and it become people food & therefore much more desirable than chicky feed  ;)

New shoot  :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 09:15 »
These are all great thanks everyone- but it's fascinating how individual our girls all seem to be when it comes to their nosh. I have discovered that mine love asparagus ( :ohmy: they would wouldn't they  :() and will persist trying other types, although they are currently in the garden pecking at dog poo so I don't know why I bother really  :lol:

wafflycat

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 09:21 »
Have you tried lettuce? Worth a go

Mine love lettuce, but if they eat too much, it can make their poo watery.  Favourites with mine are lettuce, sweetcorn, grated courgette, grass, dandelion leaves.

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 18:17 »
The best way to introduce a new food is to only give it in small amounts at first i will only give 3 or 4 pieces between 11 girls once 1 picks up a piece they all want some and chase after her they soon learn first come first served after a few days they soon wolf it down

xx
im having problems

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 14:49
by Roughlee Handled
xx
egg problems

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
More bum problems

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 12:26
by ANHBUC
xx
Problems between no 3 and no 2

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 22:53
by grinling

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 37 queries.