where can i get some chickens

• 7 Replies

torit

where can i get some chickens
« on: March 13, 2009, 16:26 »

myself and my hubby took on an allotment last year and have now sorted it to a high standard we are after some chickens to make us a little more self sufficient and to teach the kids some responsibility and how to care for animals we live in sunderland and willing to travel bout 40-50 miles anyone help please

raeburg

Re: where can i get some chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 16:42 »
http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/index.php has a good list of puoiltry suppliers, or try Practical Poultry magazine.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 16:48 »
How about popping your location into your profile? You might get some  good personal recommendations :) ;)

sandra d

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 20:18 »
Have a look in the Ad Trader. If you look under Animals, then Livestock, you`ll find quite a few breeders from up here. I`m in Gateshead, not too far from you.

Carolyn

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:22 »
Hi. I'm Carolyn and live in Spennymoor, not that far from Sunderland. Depends what hens you want. I wanted ex-battery hens but happily there was a waiting list for them, but I did get some that were part of the next batch to go into batteries. They give me endless entertainment and will never regret getting them. They also give me a constant supply of eggs, even all through winter. If you want ex-bats I can put you in touch with local rescuers who are always looking for good homes. I also have 7 banties that I bought from  Houghton-le-Spring. Good luck with your search

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:45 »
Hi. Welcome. I also got some ex-bats to start with and have not looked back. Hours of fun, eggs and the satisfaction of seeing my girls have a quality existence for at least some of their lives.

I live in Washington - just next to you - we wanted to create a small mixed flock and got some great hybrid hens (fab colours too) from Gatehouse Poultry. They are on your doorstep - in Seaham (just next to A19 and Dalton Park retail outlet.

http://gatehousepoultry.com/index.htm

Their website is still under construction but you can get some idea of the hens that they sell (colours etc) from here:

http://www.meadowsweetpoultry.co.uk/poultry.htm

I've had a very bad experience with one trader from Ad-Trader. Think that his hens are the poultry equivalent of a puppy farm so be careful.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:52 by CDave »

wafflycat

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 09:22 »
If you want ex-bats I can put you in touch with local rescuers who are always looking for good homes.

A vote for ex-batts from me. It's lovely to see them thrive, grow new feathers and develop normal chicken behaviours so swiftly with a bit of basic TLC. I've not regretted getting my two for a second.

torit

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 21:06 »
thanx all for your comments most helpful , was looking to rehouse ex batts as love the idea of giving them new lease of life, thanx carolyn we have reg with a lady in newcastle and are on a list, but will take the details if its a diff charity  you can pm me for info if you like
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 21:13 by Foxy »

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
New to the chickens

Started by Jennywa on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 14:34
by joyfull

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 39 queries.