Bee loving flowers

• 13 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Bee loving flowers
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:16 »
Aye up chucks

On my new plot I have in front of my greenhouses two beds, one containing goose gogs and the other has my black current bushes in.
My plan this year is arrange bee loving flowers within these beds, around the other fruit trees like me apples and plum.

2016 I am going to break my traditionalist shackles and enter plot comps so I need advice please.

I want small flowers I can plant around my beds that also will look pretty but be useful to insects and more importantly bees.
I would prefer to grow from seed so need easy ones too.

The greenhouses have french marigolds in already but I was thinking more purple colours as I notice bees love purple.
Over to you....
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bee loving flowers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 11:02 »
Not purple but they love the poached egg plant.

Are you after perennials or annuals? Lavender might be bit big but is loved by bees.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:27 »
The main one that springs to mind is Echium (annual borage). Grows about a foot high but may seed itself around - not sure. Try Giggling bee-loving annuals etc and see what you can find.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 13:22 »
'erbs   ;)

Oregano - after seeing all the bees coming to it, I let it grow into a permanent strip along the edge of my edge of my veg patch. Will attract lots of bees, including all the normal bumble bees.  Purple/mauve flowers. Flowers over a long period too, there are always some late flowers into Autumn.  Easy to grow, just tidy it up by cutting down the stalks when it's finished flowering.

Thyme - I let it grow between cordon fruit trees, and along edges. Low growing ground-cover with small pale purple flowers that the bees like. 

Don't forget a lot of bees make their nests in tunnels underground, so they need undisturbed ground.  Try to let these herbs grow undisturbed each year. I don't dig near the oregano anymore, or I'd turn up bees with each spadeful.

G&R,  a sandgrown'un...

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 15:32 »
Not purple but they love the poached egg plant.

Are you after perennials or annuals? Lavender might be bit big but is loved by bees.

Annuals prob around 6 inch high at most. DEF not poached egg plant, that stuff is worse than marestail!

The reason I was looking at purple is my globe arti's really attract bees, the little garden at our practice has a lot of purple plants and bee swarm around it through summer.
Thought of lavender but want something that will be in flower for around mid June when they do the plot marking, I have a full year to sort but want to make in-roads now to how it will look.
one flower I have seen is Ageratum Diamond Blue F1 which will give some idea at what I am looking at.
Ta for suggestions so far

bendipa

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 19:44 »
Most annuals don't come into flower until late June unless they've been advanced in a greenhouse. I'd look at the continuous flowering annual Lobelia 'Crystal Palace'.

Since you want short plants I'd also consider perennials such as Campanula poscharskyana or Campanula carpatica. The same applies to Campanula Cochlearfolia 'Elizabeth Oliver' which has double flowers of light violet. All of these flower in June and July, and if you cut them back after flowering they will give another flush in August/Sept. I'd also consider the perennial geraniums with their various shades of blue, purple and magenta.Their main flowering period (depending on variety) is May - July, but if cut back most will flower again. The bees love all of these.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 20:00 by bendipa »

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 21:09 »
Not annuals but alliums, or there is a small verbena bonariensis, the bees love that. Ive also got a small lilac bush that's only 18"" high, tiny leaves & flowers.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

RubyR3d

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 22:10 »
The main one that springs to mind is Echium (annual borage). Grows about a foot high but may seed itself around - not sure. Try Giggling bee-loving annuals etc and see what you can find.
.  Would that be the been annual then . . .

RubyR3d

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 22:12 »
.  Oops how embarassing I meant the beeno annual

sarajane

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 23:52 »
The bees here amass around the garlic chives and lavender when in flower.

EllenJane

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:39 »
The bees loved the flowers on my mature sage plant, and they were purple. Unfortunately when I went up there yesterday someone has snapped it at the base when moving their shed.  >:(

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 10:56 »
.  Oops how embarassing I meant the beeno annual
Ha-ha! That's fine and Dandy then!!   :tongue2:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:15 by Goosegirl »

beesrus

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 19:45 »
If you want bee loving flowers, those little pretty white flowers of buckwheat take a lot of beating. In an allotment competition sense, what better than a multi purpose plant that can do the bee thing while useful as under planting/green manure etc etc. Flowers so easily in a couple of months.

As for purple bee flowers, I would guess you're looking at bigger plants. On a veg plot, globe artichokes are a real babe magnet, but not until July and of course far too much foliage. Not only that they render the bees totally out of it, which I guess isn't the idea... they're supposed to be working. Foxgloves can do the same purple thing but without the bees getting drunk. The foxgloves may be tall, but they cast little to no discernable shade when planted judiciously.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 11:06 »
Many many thanks for this, really appreciate all your advice.

xx
water loving flowers

Started by phil/anne on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 09:00
by phil/anne
xx
(deep) shade loving plants

Started by katiekate on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 11:02
by sion01
xx
Tall shade loving plants

Started by Mum2mj on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 15:20
by Mum2mj
xx
cut flowers

Started by ecky on General Gardening

61 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 20:04
by noshed

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 28 queries.