Worms!

• 5 Replies

moomoos42

Worms!
« on: April 02, 2011, 20:43 »
One of my 4 Gals is laying speckled eggs.
when i scrub hard the flecks come off. is this a sign of worms?
they are all fit and healthy, nice droppings, no sign of any problems.
also who ever is laying these speckled eggs does not lay until late afternoon, long after i've collected the other 3 eggs.
they are semi- free range (i let them out when we're in the garden) and they love earth worms but i read they can get worms from them. but how do you stop them eating?!
HELP!! i'm a very worried head hen keeper. we've only had them since november so still new to the magic of hens!
thank you.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Worms!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 20:56 »
Nothing to worry about at all.  It's just small granules of shell material. I have a hen who lays them like that quite frequently.

moomoos42

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 22:05 »
Thank you, that's a relief.  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 23:42 »
One of my 4 Gals is laying speckled eggs.
when i scrub hard the flecks come off. is this a sign of worms?

The speckles are not a problem, just a natural variation (as said above).  Do you always scrub your eggs?  Eggs are best stored unwashed, then washed just before using if they need washing at all.

also who ever is laying these speckled eggs does not lay until late afternoon, long after i've collected the other 3 eggs.

That's also a natural variation.  No problem there.

they are semi- free range (i let them out when we're in the garden) and they love earth worms but i read they can get worms from them. but how do you stop them eating?!

Don't try to stop them eating worms.  Worms are very high in protein and an excellent addition to the diet. 

There are lots of threads on here about medications you can use to prevent internal worms becoming a problem.  Many people advocate worming your chickens every three months, and also keep an eye on their general condition.  If they are fit and healthy it's likely they don't have a high worm burden so there's no need to worry. :)

moomoos42

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 13:42 »
I only washed them because we found a web site that said it might be blood. and if it was it would wash off.
which wormer would you say is best? i think i'd like to worm them every 3 months and the lady i got them from said they had been done but she said 6 months. so which ever way they are due to be done soon.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posting. i was really worried :D

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 00:05 »
There are lots of threads on here about worming medications.  I haven't decided what method to use yet but I've been reading all about it and I'm just as confused as ever!  ::)

I'm sure plenty of people will be along to give you advice about the best products (I'm in NZ so the brand names are different here).  The main considerations seem to be:
  • effectiveness (obviously)
  • broad spectrum (so they kill all the different kinds of worms - some kill internal and external parasites)
  • ease of use (no mess, no measuring)

Now I await the collective wisdom of the community...  :D

xx
Cheap meal worms

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post December 20, 2010, 10:16
by Spana
xx
How many mealworms is too many meal worms?

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 12:43
by D

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.