What type to get

• 11 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
What type to get
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:13 »
Hi People I have my Chicken feed I have a Hen house and double run on it's way, now to decide what chickens to get?

I'm in Rainy Manchester and am looking to allow the birds free access to the hen house / run morning and night as I feel the garden is protected enough against predictors.

I'm looking for two hardy hens  which are good long term reliable layers and tasty enough for the pot when they get too old.

Any ideas?

Cheers Bill

PS any ideas for home made chicken feeder and waterer?
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Re: What type to get
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55 »
I wouldn't bother with a home made waterer or feeder the  plastic or metal ones are cheap last for ages and most importantly easy to clean.  but I suppose if you really wanted to you could use a big plastic plant pot and flip the top half over into the tray bit and some how raise it up and use that as a feeder but I honestly don't think it's worth it 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 13:20 »
I use an old frying pan for their food and an old saucepan for the water...I have got a 'proper' drinker and feeder, but they prefer to use the saucepans.  Dunno about what type of chooks to get. I've got 3 ex-batts, which are hard work, will never be any good for the table (I couldn't anyway!!  :ohmy:)  but they are so rewarding to have and I love em to bits :)  ANd never underestimate Mr Fox...if it gets cold enough, and he gets hungry enough, he'll chew through wire for a chicken dinner. I'd definately lock them away at night. If you go on the eglu site, they have a full listing of chickens, their temperments, hardiness and how big they get, might be of some use. Good luck :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 13:43 »
Whatever you get, I suggest you get 3 not 2 just in case something happens to one of them, you're not then left with one on her own.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 14:29 »
Im in manchester too, Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask how you feel your garden is well enough protected from foxes and suchlike? I have lost 5 ducks to a fox this winter, A 6ft fence is nothing to them.

Like TMT said, get 3 girls instead of two, They are not much good on their own.

If you have a look at www.happychicks.co.uk There is a pretty good list of the type of hybrids available. Hybrids lay almost daily but for a shorter period than a pure breed, but a pure breed will cost you more.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 14:58 »
A heavy deep saucepan on legs or blocks so that the rim is 8" off the ground is good for food . If it is too low and shallow the hens will scratch the pellets out and waste them.
Water dishes can be anything in summer but must be frostproof , ceramic , glass or hard plastic will pop in winter. A stainless steel dog bowl (wilco) is easy to de-ice and sterilise with boiling water.

If you get 3 different hybrid hens you will be able to tell who is laying and who is not and spot possible health problems.

Nice to have a variety of egg colours in the rack as well.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 16:10 »
Im in manchester too, Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask how you feel your garden is well enough protected from foxes and suchlike? I have lost 5 ducks to a fox this winter, A 6ft fence is nothing to them.

Like TMT said, get 3 girls instead of two, They are not much good on their own.

If you have a look at www.happychicks.co.uk There is a pretty good list of the type of hybrids available. Hybrids lay almost daily but for a shorter period than a pure breed, but a pure breed will cost you more.

An 8ft fence all round but point taken need to sort some sort of auto door opener closer as I am at work when they need opening and closing.

Will take on board the 3 chick advice too.

Am going to buy a galvanised feeder and I have a couple of spare Tin dog bowls I can use.

The idea of getting 3 hybrids is also an interesting one.

Regards Bill
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 16:13 by billathome65 »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 17:05 »
But hybrids are no good for eating afterwards!  For that you want a dual purpose bird like Light Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Welsummer, Marans, but they don't often lay eggs during the winter.  That's why we keep hybrids for eggs and table birds for eating.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:38 »
I agree with GrannieAnnie, hybrids were created to eat minimum amount of food for maximum egg production and so don't carry a lot of meat compared to pure breeds. If you wanted eggs and then meat, as mentioned, get a dual purpose breed.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 13:01 »
Old laying hens are going to be a tough meal if not cooked long and slow, full of flavour but will probably severely test the false gnashers.  :D

Dreamer@45

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 18:42 »
You wont go wrong with some light sussex. Pretty birds and duel purpose. :D

evie2

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 19:26 »
I'd go with light Sussex as a dual bird, ours hasn't laid for a good 2 months now but she was in full moult (oven ready style) however our Speckldy and Amber Stars have been laying daily until a couple of weeks ago :D 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
What type?

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post November 07, 2012, 18:32
by Craigx
xx
What type is he ?

Started by Barnsley-Bill on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 15:20
by LittleRedHen
exclamation
What is your favourite type of hen!?

Started by tom86420 on Chicken Chat

39 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 20:13
by TeaPots
xx
home-made 'egg skelter' type storage ideas please!

Started by Aliparty on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 11:10
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 30 queries.