Avian Influenza and EU law changes

• 0 Replies

LosPollosHermanos

Avian Influenza and EU law changes
« on: October 18, 2018, 13:34 »
I found this yesterday while doing some research for my allotment association. Apparently it came into force 10 August 2018.

"4.   Depending on the assessment of the epidemiological situation referred to in paragraph 1, Member States shall prohibit the following activities in high risk areas:

(a)the keeping together of ducks and geese with other poultry species, unless:

(i)the risk of virus introduction is deemed insignificant due to the characteristics of the holding and the risk mitigation measures in place that are considered sufficient by the competent authority; or

(ii)poultry species other than ducks and geese are used as sentinels according to the provisions of the competent authority;"

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32018D1136

My reading of this suggests that in high risk areas people aren't going to be allowed to keep ducks and geese together with other poultry, when avian influenza restrictions are in place. There's no detail as to separation distances, so I guess we'll have to wait to hear from the 'competent authority' for some guidance.

I was quite suprised to read this as it seems to have had no impact on the press or the usual sources.

We have a lot of mixed flocks on our site, its quite common for people to have chickens, ducks and geese all on the same plot. This could cause quite a lot of problems.

Has anyone else come across this or had any advice?

I would love to hear anyones thoughts about this as I'm sure its going to affect a lot of people.

xx
Avian Influenza warnings

Started by mumofstig on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 26, 2020, 19:42
by grinling
xx
Avian Flu

Started by John on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 26, 2006, 10:43
by John
xx
Avian TB

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 20:50
by richyrich7
xx
Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information

Started by mumofstig on The Hen House

233 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 01:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 40 queries.