slugs under plastic?

• 33 Replies

tomato-joy

slugs under plastic?
« on: January 07, 2007, 09:41 »
Hi,

Someone suggested that I might get a whole heap of slugs under the plastic that I have put down over my weeded plots - has anyone else had any trouble with them in this way? and should I put down slug pellets? Or does it not matter if you have a few slugs (apart from the eeeuw factor when you peel back your plastic in the spring  :) )

thanks.
trying to be organic...

muntjac

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:50 »
you will if its dark and mouldy under there and personally i say nuke em there used to be a row that birds would eat the pellets .well i have not seen a bird with bright blue feathers or lots dying around here in fact my pet blackbird( shaun cos he got little stumpy legs ) :D  has been worming alongside me when i have put them down  :) a few dark spots in the garden will colect them up over time so think on it heheh :twisted:
still alive /............

shaun

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:58 »
i say throw away the plastic into the nearest skip .
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

tomato-joy

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:59 »
right! I shall prepare for war - any recommendations for what to use?

tomato-joy

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:06 »
am just starting out and have had so many conflicting bits of advice (still gratefull for it all though!)

I must admit to being tempted by the thought of not much weeding come the spring on the 2 plots that I have covered, as the others are not cleared yet. My poor allotment has not been loved for a few years, so much work to do on the others.

What damage would the plastic do to the plot? AND, I've got a bit of carpet over my newly built compost heap, which I am now worrying has got chemicals in and should not be used.  :(

shaun

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:08 »
they dont like salt (rock salt) if you dont want to use pellets or you can get eco friendly pellets.

Annie

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:08 »
We`ve got 2 beds under plastic and the only difference is that when you take the plastic off you can se the little******** and intodece them to the base of your wellie.I do use some slug pellets but usually to protect seedlings that are under mesh ie carrots.I am begining to think that the hugh slugs are not the problem it`s the tiny little black ones that hide under the soil that do the damage.Welcome to the joys of gardening!

Annie

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 10:12 »
Sorry but you will still be weeding once you take the plastic off all the little weed seeds will germinate but they are also easy to get out then!Expect controversy when it comes to plastic.

tomato-joy

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 10:13 »
would love some advice on eco friendly pellets - am hoping to be a green gardener...

shaun

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 10:17 »
some folks use plastic some dont viki its upto you.i dont i see it like this
when you cover up the soil your making it nice and cozy for all those bugs,grubs,slugs n snails and seeds. so when you uncover come springyou will have a explosion of weeds and bugs n stuff,if its left open to the elements rain,frost,snow(soon) and wind ,then that will kill most if not all off.
like anne says its the soil slugs that pose another problem,you can get nemotode stuff to have a go at these (i have never used them its quite expensive).

shaun

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 10:19 »

tomato-joy

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 10:23 »
I've been a bit worried about slug pellets as I presume that they are pretty toxic to other wildlife as well? I suppose I should love the slug, as much as I love the pretty birds...they are wildlife too, eh?  :wink:

presumably with our wetter, warmer winters the slugs will be laughing and multiplying?

shaun

slugs under plastic?
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 10:27 »
Quote from: "vicki papworth"
I've been a bit worried about slug pellets as I presume that they are pretty toxic to other wildlife as well?

as this ever been proven ?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
slugs under plastic?
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 10:38 »
You can get wildlife friendly slug pellets - so you needn't worry. If you throw some ordinary pellets under sheeting then the slugs eat them but wildlife can't see them / eat them.

Ordinary pellets can be pretty toxic to pests as well - dogs and cats can be pretty stupid over what they decide to eat.

Nematodes are supposd to be brilliant if used properly on the right soil type.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
slugs under plastic?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 10:40 »
Latest reports appear to show (and I'm desperately trying to find the link...) that hedgehogs are not affected by slug pellets.  I use them in the garden and the chickens don't touch them.

Spinny

xx
Look at what the slugs have done.............

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 15:10
by WG.
xx
slugs

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 21:45
by richyrich7
xx
slugs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 09:56
by seedman
xx
slugs

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 13:01
by rawrecruit

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.