Apple tree early growth query & pruning

• 3 Replies

Joe Hicks

Apple tree early growth query & pruning
« on: January 14, 2020, 13:50 »
Hi everyone, I bought a Sunset Apple on M9 rootstock in Dec 2018 and planted it shortly after on my allotment in full sun. It appears to have established okay and grew this year, but I'm unclear if it's thriving or struggling after its first year's growth, and if it's not grown well should I hold off pruning it this year or not?

I have attached a photo of it. It was about 3 feet when purchased and is now about 4.5 feet with just 4 very upright main branches. However, I also planted two plum trees on pixy rootstock at the same time, and they were the same size when purchased, but one is a good 6.5-7 feet and the other has one or two branches at least 8-9 feet or higher, and both probably have double the number of main branches as the apple. Hence why I'm concerned the apple isn't doing well. These are my first fruit trees so I'm unclear on how much growth to expect - maybe plums are just particularly vigorous?

Thanks for any advice.
IMG_20191207_151604525.jpg

missmoneypenny

Re: Apple tree early growth query & pruning
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 17:30 »
I am in no way an expert but I planted an apple 2 winters ago and it looks very similar. Can’t remember the rootstock.  The branches are still very wispy and I have to tie them in when the fruit is in to stop them snapping.
I’m a bit worried about your plum tree. I have ordered damsons on a bush rootstock and I don’t have much space. I don’t want it turning into a monster!

Christine

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 18:44 »
I'd say that the answer lies in the soil. Annual application of well rotted manure helps no end.

Ema

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 09:51 »
I’ve also been reading up on pruning my young apple trees.

Yours does look small but it’s on M9 and I think mine are semi dwarfing.

I would treat it as a 2 year old tree and cut the branches to an outward facing bud to encourage the shape to widen into the goblet shape that everyone raves about. You could cut them back quite hard to 1/3 for a better shape or when I was in Canada they tended to weigh branches down with rocks tied on to the branches.

I’ve messed up pruning a tree last winter and now it’s very upright - I think it should have been pruned right back last year and I didn’t because I assumed it was 1 year old. So I’m going to weigh the branches down.

Photo of my poor upright tree and a pic from online using sand bags as weights.
E7F2D94B-610E-4B63-A9F1-8D590209876C.jpg
C66F053D-2F40-42BD-857A-7BA341A95BB3.jpeg

xx
Apple tree growth

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 09:47
by londongardener
xx
At what stage of apple tree growth.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 17:54
by Trillium
clip
White cotton like growth on apple tree

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2020, 19:40
by missmoneypenny
xx
pruning an apple tree

Started by paganjon on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 13:39
by Annen

Page created in 1.46 seconds with 38 queries.