Just a few questions about fruit and veg if i may please

• 9 Replies

new_2_veg

Hi all,

just wanted to ask a few things, some may sound stupid some may not but hey most of you know me by now :wink:

1)  I have leeks in the garden and they havent realy thickened up, is there any hope for them now or not? they have been in for ages now!

2)  Im just digging over my empty ground and have a last bit of poo to spread, should i roughly dig it over or did and prep ready for planting / setting?

3)  Rhubarb, am i best to force it or let it come in its own time? i have no idea what types they are but i think they all have a red shoot showing now.

I think thats if for a start  :wink:

thanks

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

paintedlady

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 15:45 »
Hi Nathan, You might as well harvest the leeks before spring as they'll start gearing up for flowering soon.  I very much doubt they'll fatten up much more but there are "leek" experts who know a lot more than me!

I would definitely roughly dig in poo now and fine rake it later.  Let the weather and the worms do the hard work for a change that's my motto from now on!

If the rhubarb has been in the ground for a number of years, you could force some of it (its supposed to be nicer) but you don't have to if you don't want to, and can harvest stems from unforced rhubarb instead.  If you force rhubarb this year, (it's only for spring harvesting!) then don't force it next year to give it time to recover.  All rhubarb shouldn't be picked after a certain date (summer solstice?) to let them build up food stores for over the coming winter.

Hope that was helpful!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Selkie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 16:38 »
You could leave the leeks to flower, they are very pretty

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 16:59 »
They may be pretty, Rose, but not if space is at a premium  :lol:

NTV Sounds like your leeks didn't get enough depth dug in the soil nor enough manure. They're heavy feeders, need regular water and also need hilling up as they grow to create the white tender parts.

Top Cat

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 17:24 »
Does it matter if they are winter leeks or not.......... mine are still fairly small but weren't planted until late as they were winter leeks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 17:52 »
Tried forcing rhubard - IMHO a waste of time for the crop I got. You then have to leave the plant the next year to recover.

Others with no doubt disagree & then you've got the choice!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mushroom

Re: Just a few questions about fruit and veg if i may please
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 18:04 »
Quote from: "new_2_veg"
Hi all,

just wanted to ask a few things, some may sound stupid some may not but hey most of you know me by now :wink:

1)  I have leeks in the garden and they havent realy thickened up, is there any hope for them now or not? they have been in for ages now!

How long is ages?

How thin is thin?

I think leeks stay in until springtime.. My first time with leeks as well. They aren't 'fat' but they aren't thin either. Did you plant them in the traditional way (in a 6 inch deep hole that you don't fill in, made with a dibber)? What's your soil like (clay, fertile, sandy?)

gobs

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 23:06 »
Leeks do thicken up in the spring. Sure, I do grow a lot of late leeks. 8)

If it would not happen to you, baby leeks are also great. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Annie

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 09:39 »
My late leeks are starting to thicken up a bit more now,I will start cropping these in feb through until mid marchish.Just check regularly to make sure flowering stalks are not forming as they get too tough to eat then.I also am thinking of leaving a couple on the end of the bed to flower this year.

Rob the rake

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:00 »
Someone posted about heeling in leeks recently.
It's handy to be able to move them elsewhere to free up the ground, but in addition to this, by breaking the fibrous roots flowering is delayed by a month or so, usefully extending the cropping period as late as May (depending on the variety).
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
Fruit questions

Started by amiman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2021, 12:29
by amiman
xx
Fruit growing questions.

Started by -Cat- on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 14:58
by -Cat-
xx
Soft fruit questions

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2013, 20:40
by New shoot
xx
New allotment plots fruit tree questions

Started by David cotton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 05, 2015, 20:25
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.