It's going to get to minus degrees here tonight...

• 28 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: It's going to get to minus degrees here tonight...
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 21:46 »
Not long back from earthing up the potatoes, and whilst there I happened to notice that another plotholder has planted out some nine inch high unprotected runner bean plants.

I`ll take a photo tomorrow of what`s left of them. :(

I post on another forum and its forever people getting ahead with beans, cucumbers etc.

We all live by our mistakes though i guess ;)

digalotty

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 23:15 »
i went down the plot yesterday and put my potted fruit trees in the shed ,-2 expected overnight
i also checked to see if i had any potato tops showing (non yet) and put a plastic clotch over some lettuce and covered any seed trays and put them behind glass.

only radish and broad beans showing so think i will be ok :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 23:43 »
Yes, we had snow today here too. Flakes looked quite big but it was far too wet to settle. My local forecast says plus 2 tonight and plus 1 for a couple of nights this week, no worse than that, but the long range forecast is saying above average temps for the next month after that :)

Where was that in Swindon, i was out and about in Swindon all day and didn't see a flake
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29 »
Yes, we had snow today here too. Flakes looked quite big but it was far too wet to settle. My local forecast says plus 2 tonight and plus 1 for a couple of nights this week, no worse than that, but the long range forecast is saying above average temps for the next month after that :)

Where was that in Swindon, i was out and about in Swindon all day and didn't see a flake

That was back at the beginning of March :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 07:29 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05 »

doh  :blink:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:13 »
I've got an overwintered chilli that I've been putting outside in the daytime and bringing back in at night. Last night, for the third time, I forgot to bring it in again and it stood outside all night in some very thick frost. And it's fine. That's one tough chilli plant, I've got to save seeds from that one.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15 »
No frost here in Blackpool by the Sea, but back home I note ground temperatures of -4.4C.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Willow_Warren

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 13:52 »
I earthed up what little bits of my potatoes I could see yesterday.

The shed thermometer said -1.7°C when I got up this morning (about 6.20) and there was quite a frost outside.  The water in the shed hasn't frozen though (it is a bunny shed!).

Last year my sweet peas got attacked by the frost, they dies back bit and fell over, but mainly managed to recover with some new growth from the base!  This year I'm being a bit more careful!  ;) (just a little bit mind, I'll make different mistakes!)

Hannah :)

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 19:15 »
-3.1 c in my poly tunnel last night

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 21:20 »
-3.1 c in my poly tunnel last night

Please could you add your general location in your forum profile, kippers garden?  Just click your username to do the edit.  Otherwise, the fact that it was -3.1C doesn't have a context ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 22:27 »
I earthed up what little bits of my potatoes I could see yesterday.

The shed thermometer said -1.7°C when I got up this morning (about 6.20) and there was quite a frost outside.  The water in the shed hasn't frozen though (it is a bunny shed!).

Last year my sweet peas got attacked by the frost, they dies back bit and fell over, but mainly managed to recover with some new growth from the base!  This year I'm being a bit more careful!  ;) (just a little bit mind, I'll make different mistakes!)

Hannah :)

Hey, are you and Willow Warren on RU one and the same? If so I'm Elena. ;)

Benandbill

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39 »
I, somewhat foolishly, have in my haste planted 3 leaved beetroot seedlings / plants  (about 40 in total) on Sunday.  Someone warned me against it offering to keep them in their greenhouse for me and that evening I saw there was going to be a frost.  I went to see them yesterday evening and it does look as though I've been lucky.  They don't look as though frost has touched them but I understand we haven't seen the last of it yet. 

It'll only be two rows that gets attacjed, I'm goiung to sow a couple more straight in the ground this weekend.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 06:44 »
Beetroot should stand a bit of frost.

Now had you planted beans, courgettes, tomatoes............

xx
Not quite 360 degrees!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2022, 10:05
by Goosegirl
xx
15 degrees...

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2018, 13:25
by Ivor Backache
xx
sow tonight?

Started by veg-grower on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 22:32
by rugbymad40
xx
First ever veg tonight

Started by Solidthegreat on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 08:32
by Christo

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 37 queries.