Greenhouse or No Greenhouse?

• 11 Replies

Mc-llotment

« on: September 11, 2008, 09:14 »
Well thats the new plot well on the way to being sorted. For those amongst us that kindly helped me out with the weedkiller debate you'll be pleased to know i refrained from using it or a rotavator on the growing area but intend using it on the edges of the plot to identify my patch! However i have spent the last few days in casualty with a bad back and blisters!!!! Cheers!

Next question! I was debating whether or not to purchase a greenhouse for the spring seedlings? I have spoken an ederly chap on the allotment (bit like the local green fingered yoda) and he told me not to bother unless i intend coming to the plot every day to tweek with ventilation ect.

Can such seedlings been grown just as easy at home in say a lean too, cloches, window sills ect

Many thanks in advance! :shock:
Andy Mc

Bombers

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:46 »
Hi Mc-llotment. from my experience, everything begins life on the kitchen windowsill! :wink:  However, I do have the added bonus of being able to 'move on' trays into my conservatory when seeds are established enough.   I have also purchased one of those mini greenhousey thingy's. They are very useful, but you need to ensure that they are 'bolted' down, otherwise they will end up flying across your neighbours garden!
We still have to watch the night temperatures though, and the OH plays her face a bit with all the mess etc..
But she soon comes round when all that lovely veg arrives FOC!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

naturesparadise

Re: Greenhouse or No Greenhouse?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:57 »
Quote from: "Mc-llotment"
Well thats the new plot well on the way to being sorted. For those amongst us that kindly helped me out with the weedkiller debate you'll be pleased to know i refrained from using it or a rotavator on the growing area but intend using it on the edges of the plot to identify my patch! However i have spent the last few days in casualty with a bad back and blisters!!!! Cheers!

Next question! I was debating whether or not to purchase a greenhouse for the spring seedlings? I have spoken an ederly chap on the allotment (bit like the local green fingered yoda) and he told me not to bother unless i intend coming to the plot every day to tweek with ventilation ect.

Can such seedlings been grown just as easy at home in say a lean too, cloches, window sills ect

Many thanks in advance! :shock:

green fingered yoda  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  i like it

but you can have a greenhouse on your plot
just use automatic vet openers  and capillary matting

crowndale

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:21 »
I am fortuante enough to ahve inherited a greenhous with my plot but its going to freecycle shortly.  If you ahve time to check it daily in summer or when seedlings are in it then fine other wise its a pain (IMHO!)  I also inherited a small GH with my current home too so know I am spoilt (and a conservatroy!).  so I have plenty of space to bring on seedlings etc.  this year I did use the greenhouse but wasn't able to get down as often as I would have liked due to small children, but as I will always have small children (foster carer) I have decided getting down every day will always be a problem so will be growing stuff on the plot that doesn't require daily watering/attention and save the greenhouse things for home.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

matron

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:32 »
I wouldn't be without my greenhouses. I have one at home and one down on my plot but as my plot is only 100 yards away and we have our chickens down there it is visited at least twice a day so it is not a problem for us. Our biggest problem is not having water.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 14:38 »
I have two  :wink:  one is used as a nursery, but put stuff in pots later and the other for toms etc. Cant imagine life without one or two come to hink of it, however as my plot is over me back fence watering aint normally a problem.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Mc-llotment

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 15:28 »
Ahhh! The general opinion is get one if your house is within a good over arm throw of an unripened tomato!?! However, what if your plot is about 3 miles away, out of vision and ceretainly out of reach with any soft fruit or veg!

What then oh green fingered jedi's?

Would it not be more simple/safe and productive to grow/nurture then transport my plants to said plot?

noshed

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 15:29 »
I have a ramshackle greenhouse so it is well-ventilated...
Watering can be a problem though I can only get up there at weekends and maybe one evening. Capillary matting can be a help.
The other thing is - coldframes are handy things and you can make them from scrap stuff.
Here is mine:
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 16:10 »
I start off all my seeds at home in the lean to greenhouse my lovely OH built me

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

fatbelly

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 19:34 »
Up here in Cheshire I wouldn't be without my Greenhouse.

It means I can get seedlings going about 3 - 4 weeks earlier than without one and having to plant directly into the ground.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

pumpkin-queen

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 21:58 »
We were very lucky to have a greenhouse donated to us and are only ones on our site with one. Our lotty is over 3 miles away and even with an auto vent we were up there every day last summer watering pots on our staging, stuff in ground was ok for 3 days or so. We wouldn't be without greenhouse though. This year, every other day at most sufficed to keep our pots of chillies watered. It's also useful for storing non-valuables like pots over winter and overwintering tenders from our garden. Brilliant for keeping seedlings better protected from cold/slugs etc. Despite some minor trouble from someone going in and helping themselves to a couple of seedlings (we now padlock door), idiotic vandals that cracked a pane (but they did more damage on our plot in general, so what can you do?) I'd say go for it! We lost all our outside toms to blight, but our greenhouse ones are going strong.

FCG

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 00:06 »
Fatbelly, where are you in cheshire?

I couldn't live without my £10 greenhouse from wilkinsons. Plastic yes... has to be weighted with a boulder yes... but i really can get cracking early in my little veg patch. I'll probably buy one too for my plot when i get it.

xx
Greenhouse

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 16:49
by Tattyanne456
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 14:38
by Bluedave
xx
My New Greenhouse

Started by matthew2riches on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 23:57
by Trillium
xx
What can I put in my greenhouse now?

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 09:08
by Kristen

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 32 queries.