hello another newie

• 5 Replies

Kim

hello another newie
« on: March 26, 2006, 16:10 »
Hi

I have a smallish vegetable plot in my garden - about 30ft x 10ft in total. I'm trying to make the most of my space and would like to get peoples opinions on what I can grow in between my slow growing veg (parsnips etc) ? Also what would people recommend - straight rows or grid growing ?

Thanks,
Kim (novice)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
hello another newie
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 17:54 »
Hi Kim
You can always intercrop with fast growing salads - lettuce, spring onions, radish etc.

With a fairly limited plot in terms of space, you may be best to concentrate on 'high value' vegetables - rather  than basics like potatoes.  What's high value will depend on what you like.

In terms of production for space, vertical growing is best - things like climbing french and runner beans give an awful lot from a small space.

I met a chap at the NVS who covers most of his vegetable needs from less space - but it  was on a deep bed and the soil was both deep and rich. He had a lot of things brought on in pots before planting.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jake

• Rockers
hello another newie
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:51 »
Hello I'm new to these forums too. I thought I would just add to the new people threads that are already here, rather than start a new one.

Like Kim I am a novice, I got the allotment last August which I thought was too late in the year to do anything. (I was wrong about this).

I have grow veggies in the garden for 2 years. Beetroot is my favourite.

Anyway, I'm really excited about this year. I've dug 2 deep beds which hurt a lot. I've got onion sets, parsnips and carrots sown already. Peas and butter beans sprouted in a mini greenhouse. Potatos go in at the end of this week.

I've built a composter which I'm very proud of.  I worry about slugs a lot.

Nice to be here.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
hello another newie
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:19 »
Hi Jake - and welcome

I've noticed those in the south of the country are a little ahead of us 'up north' - lucky people!!

Slugs... how we hate slugs.  I'm going to try those nematodes this year. I reckon that half my potatoes had some slug damage last year. I don't like slug pellets because of the danger to domestic animals and the predators of slugs (birds and hedgehogs, even snakes) but I do use the safe type. Unfortunately, those aren't as effective.

The traps (beer  or milk) seem to just nibble at the edges of the problem. But, like the adverts say, every little helps!

Jake

• Rockers
hello another newie
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 14:25 »
I come from Cheshire, my parents still live there.

Where do you get nematodes from? I like the sound of that, I feel the same about slug pellets, the simple fact that they're bright blue puts me off. Crushed up snail shells had no effect in my garden. Beer was good and I've heard they don't like to cross copper pipes although I suppose that would keep them in as much as out.

Thanks for the welcome.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
hello another newie
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 14:34 »
Sensible parents, Jake :)

I ordered my nematodes from  Thompson and Morgan

They deliver in April, I think

xx
Newie silly onion Question

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 20:06
by mashauk

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 38 queries.