COMPOST BINS

• 6 Replies

TREGRAHOW

COMPOST BINS
« on: November 28, 2011, 20:18 »
Alright, I give up! One TV "expert" tells us a compost bin should have slatted sides and no cover except for a bit of old carpet. Another "expert" tells us the bin should have solid sides and a lid. Any moisture should be added as and when one feels it necessary and the heap should be turned occasionally to aerate it - or not..... My brain hurts. ???

All advice (with plausible reasons) gratefully received.

Axe

• Experienced Member
Re: COMPOST BINS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 20:29 »
i'm just starting out a new compost heap and i always thought compost needs heat so i bought a compost bin....hope i didnt waste my money!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 20:35 »
I don't either is wrong.  I have the dalek bins because they take up less room, but it is far harder to turn the contents without lifting the whole bin off (you can get ones with trap doors near the base).  They don't lose as much heat but can dry out if you're not careful.

The bigger bins heat up well if you get sufficient contents, and are easier to turn.  But they can lose heat more and do need to be covered a little to prevent being sodden / cooled completely.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 22:37 »
I made a double bin; each bin about a yard cubed. I filled one as and when material became available from my plot and from home. When I found a cheap source of horse manure I turned everything from the first bin into the second, layering the horse manure with it. Unfortunately I had no means of shredding the manure so some fairly large clumps have gone into the bin. I use a Dalek bin to reduce grass cuttings and comfrey quickly and add that to the main bin when ready. I've now found a couple of pigeon fanciers who have provided a serious amount of guano and I've turned the contents of the large bin again and layered the lot in the adjoining bin. Hopefully, I'll get further material at regular intervals and I won't have to turn it so often, if at all. My bins have sides of 6" wide planks with 1" gaps and a loose lid. It seems to be working at the moment.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 17:20 »
we bought 2 large compost bins from the local council after about 9 months the recycling has done its job fine black compost no turning no fuss just add water occasionally its ready to use next season beautiful :D

was so pleased with those bins we bought 2 more and we are rapidly filling those up i also set up 2 [50gal]  blue drums 1 with sheep and horse manure mixed and the other with rhubarb mix also for next season  ::)

down the Lottie i maid my own bin with old pallets but its not as good as the council ones good luck RW

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 18:31 »
I have both

A slatted woode bin made of four pallets, lined with cardboard (renewed when emptied) and covered with a bit of black plastic hel down by bricks

Three daleks (one just for leaves)

They all work well. The sq meter of the pallet bin takes longer as it has more in it before I stop filling, that's all
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:49 »
TREGRAHOW,
Compost happens.
Whatever type of bin / heap/ pile/ container you have you'll be able to make compost.
The secret is to mix green, dry, wet, brown etc. etc. etc. together and allow a bit of time.
Chuck it all in. Mix it all up regularly (and that's the biggest aid) and then you will produce wonderful compost with ease . . . . . . . . in time.

Read the tips.
Take the advice.
Do it your way.
Compost happens!
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

xx
compost bins

Started by shaun on Design and Construction

41 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 13:24
by shaun
exclamation
compost bins

Started by jamiendebbie on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 21:54
by grinling
xx
compost bins

Started by kevinp on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 07:52
by kevinp
xx
Pallet compost bins

Started by ThatsNice on Design and Construction

27 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 08:45
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 40 queries.