Overgrown Hedge Advice

• 10 Replies

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
Overgrown Hedge Advice
« on: February 19, 2013, 23:07 »
Hello all

ive moved into a house with a somewhat crazy hedge. Attached is a pic.

I have tidied it from this pic but Im wanting to drop it down a good 2 foot to let more light in and allow me to plant some stuff in the front garden.

Whats the best time of year to do this and can i literally take 2 foot off or should i do a foot this year and then another foot next year

really have no idea with this side of things

thanks
Capture.jpg

yaxley

Re: Overgrown Hedge Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 23:22 »
Well to be honest privet hedge is pretty well indestructable i have cut them right down and they regrow just cut the top down as far as you want personally i would cut that down to the top of the picket the finished top will be very woody but it regrows in time and i would do it now ...
Grow organic as nature intended

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:33 »
and a quick short back and sides should do the trick and you will have a very attractive hedge come mid summer  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46 »
If you are very particular about the final height you want cut it down to 6" less than that to allow for the space the regrowing shoots will take up after they in turn have been clipped and start to thicken up (also allows for the inevitable slow increase in height over the years no matter how well trimmed you keep it.)

Do it all in one go (thickness as well as height if you want) - there may be one person out there who claims to have killed an established privet but I'd need him or her to take a lie-detector test before believing it!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:58 »
If you are very particular about the final height you want cut it down to 6" less than that to allow for the space the regrowing shoots will take up after they in turn have been clipped and start to thicken up (also allows for the inevitable slow increase in height over the years no matter how well trimmed you keep it.)

Do it all in one go (thickness as well as height if you want) - there may be one person out there who claims to have killed an established privet but I'd need him or her to take a lie-detector test before believing it!  ;)

and if you saw how Mr Sunny hacked ours down, you would believe privet really is indestructable -- lots of nice new green shoots and those ole bare branches now  :D :D :D  (Thank goodness  ;) )

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:55 »
thankyou so much for the info, ill be attacking it this weekend so ill send a pic once done :) thanks again

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18 »
agree with everything said especially about cutting 6 inches below final line and letting come back up. My mother had a long garden with a privet hedge along one side -- it was indestructible - it was also a very convenient height for her to leave things on if in the garden. Besides the usual clothes pegs, kitchen knives, etc one year when I cut it I got my hedge trimmers tangled on a dog lead and collar. (they had not had a dog for several years at that stage) so watch for what you might find - being at the front watch for kids pushing coke tins etc into it.
R

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 12:02 »
If you want to make it 'thinner' as well as shorter, it would be worth cutting one side back very hard and just trimming the other this year, then reversing the process next year, as cutting back both sides hard at once will leave you with a 'see-through' hedge until it bushes out.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 14:13 »
If it is Privet or also known as (Ligustrum) they are very hardy and you can cut them back pretty hard, you can cut them back now. What I like to do first with any shrubs or hedges I try to wait for a small period of time when you don't get any hard frosts. This will help reduce any chance of frost damage and reduce the chance of disease from setting in once the branches are cutt, but like i said privet are hardy and the chances of that happening is slim :)

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 21:43 »
I have privet - 120 foot both sides of my garden.  listen to the others - its indestructible, trust me I have tried many times!!  The one thing to say about hedges in the front garden in a city/town situation is that I agree with RichardA  - it seems to turn into a dustbin.  Once my leylandi (yep really  ???) had gone from my front garden the litter I got disappeared overnight but I have  noticed that my neighbours who do have privet in the their front gardens still suffer from the cans etc inserted in their hedges.  We walled the front and I have flowering shrubs on my drive now instead.
Now where are my shears as its short back & sides time for that privet :lol:
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

xx
Overgrown wisteria pruning advice please.

Started by poultrygeist on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 23:16
by poultrygeist
xx
new hedge/barrier advice

Started by MoreWhisky on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 17:14
by surbie100
xx
Advice on planting hedge please.

Started by lotty on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 17:09
by crh75
xx
Holly hedge advice needed.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2020, 22:08
by jezza

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 30 queries.