Allotment Rent

• 6 Replies

Ratstail

Allotment Rent
« on: March 13, 2019, 16:59 »
I went today to pay my yearly rent today and its gone up by 28%, I asked about a years notice and was told last year that a notice was put on all Allotment Site gates. I explained in the past tenants always got a years written notice and the sign could of blown off or been removed within minutes of being put on. The tenancy agreement says the council can put the rent up as deemed reasonable, is this not an unfair term and condition?
Thank you for any replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment Rent
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 17:21 »
hello, welcome to the forum  :)
The tenancy agreement says the council can put the rent up as deemed reasonable
This is fairly common. As for the 28% increase being too much, that would depend on what the rent was before....
28% of an already high rent would certainly be unreasonable - but if rents were low, then the increase would surely be expected in current financial circumstances. Councils are having to cut services across the board, so I wouldn't expect allotment rents to remain untouched.

Ratstail

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 18:18 »
Thank you for your reply, The agreement for the past 10 years was that the rent would increase by inflation, I just cant see how the second rule of the tenancy agreement, the council can increase the rent by what, they deem reasonable! I thought this term would be classed as unreasonable, as they can just keep putting the rent up every year by whatever they want. Also in the past any changes to the agreement tenants always receive a letter giving a years notice, not a sign on a gate.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 19:32 »
I can see your point but I agree with MUM  councils are having to increase allotment rent to appease those who believe a rent increase is justified when there council tax has also gone up like ours mind you our county council has gone bust anyway

like you we don't get any prior notice of an imminent rent rise  we only know when the are requested to pay the yearly  rent basically pay and stay

you haven't mentioned what you pay for your plot or plots per year though?

grinling

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 20:18 »
What does the council supply for the rent? Do they maintain fences, cut grass main pathway, supply water? You could ask them to explain why the increase

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 22:02 »
The cost of land has gone up, so rent on the land will have gone up as well, regardless of the cost for any maintenance or services, like water supply etc.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 22:17 »
This survey maybe of interest to some  state of the market survey - allotment services 2018
Showing average rents and services etc.

xx
Allotment rent increases

Started by jaydig on Chatting on the Plot

27 Replies
Last post March 23, 2023, 12:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Rent renewals ICT question

Started by cardoon queen on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2022, 21:25
by Yorkie
xx
Plot rent increased

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2019, 20:35
by snowdrops
xx
New allotment t&cs

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2020, 11:42
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 46 queries.