comb

• 4 Replies

nzdunn

comb
« on: June 22, 2009, 13:17 »
just wondering at approx wot age is the comb fully grown, my marans according to the breeder must be about 21 wks now and their combs are hardly up atall, winnies it up but very very small and is a pale red but claras is hardly up atall and in the 3wks ive had her doesnt seem to have done much growing at all, i reckon they are younger than wot i was told, could have just been a genuine mistake on my part,   do you think they should be about ready to start laying eggs now if they are in deed 21wks, do some take longer to mature than others.  nickyx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: comb
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 13:21 »
Hi nicky, yes they can take longer, I think my maran was about 26 weeks before she laid (it seemed years  :D). joyxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 17:55 »
Pure breeds can be 34 weeks before they start to lay. The comb will redden up just before they start to lay.
The term POL is used for commercial birds at 18 weeks old. This term is used by pure breeders as well but as each breed differs to actual point of lay any bird over 18 wks old is usually dubbed POL.

Marans usually start to lay between 24 and 32 wks old.

Is it a Maran or is it a Speckeldy?
Lots of "breeders" are passing off Speckledeys as cuckoo marans.

This is a Speckledey note the lack of cuckoo marking on the breast, this is the telltale sign of a speckledey. nothing wrong with the speckledeys, they are a lovely bird, just had 24 delivered and they are a nice bird but don't pay pure breed prices for them!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 18:13 by Hensington »

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 18:20 »
and not only that some are called "cou cou" maran which is a  maran hybrid as opposed to "cuckoo" maran!  :)

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 18:46 »
and not only that some are called "cou cou" maran which is a  maran hybrid as opposed to "cuckoo" maran!  :)

That is trés sneaky, if you say it then it sounds no different does it! Naughty naughty.
Reminds me of the time I bought a "Pinkk Floid" cassette off the local market :lol:

xx
hen's comb

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 17:26
by orchardlady
xx
No comb yet

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 18:47
by dizzylizzie
xx
No Comb ??

Started by Alby on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 16:49
by Alby
xx
Comb - what age?

Started by Louise on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 12, 2008, 09:41
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 39 queries.