Dried cucumber?

• 19 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Dried cucumber?
« on: August 04, 2012, 20:30 »
I noticed that in Mary Bell's book she says you can dry cucumber slices. What would you do with them? Does she just mean to eat as dried, or to reconstitute before use? I can't imagine what you'd do with them, because unless you like cucumber soup you wouldn't really cook with them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Dried cucumber?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 20:55 »
I'm guessing but would say she means dry to eat as vegetable chips, as she talks about drying dill pickles at some stage in the book to eat this way.

Or you could try processing some to a powder.  I think it would be interesting to experiment with and would try adding it to salad dressings or mixing with mayo to use on sandwiches or as a dip.  Might also be nice just as a seasoning sprinkled on a sliced tomato salad or mixed with yogurt to eat with curry :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 20:58 »
Dehydration is another dimension I think  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 21:08 »
If my courgettes ever get worked up into a state of total glut (fingers crossed, looks like we're on the brink), I want to try drying some of those too. But those I'd keep for chucking into ratatouille or pasta sauce. Cucumber is one of those things that goes from nothing to glut, and they're useless for freezing so I usually end up giving loads away, so it would be nice to find a way of keeping them. I wonder what they'd be like if you rehydrated them? I don't know if they'd make a good powdered sprinkle because cucumbers don't really taste of anything.

I am going to try drying celery though, because that's another thing that I chuck into casseroles or jambalaya a lot but rarely eat fresh. Right now I've got a batch of oregano going, and I'm a little surprised at how unevenly they're drying. Some leaves are still green and soft while others are pretty much crispy.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 21:16 »
I don't know if they'd make a good powdered sprinkle because cucumbers don't really taste of anything.

You may be surprised how the drying process concentrates the taste  :)  Mushroom powder is amazing (cheap supermarket button mushroom so hardly flavour packed) and done a mixed celeriac/celery powder and that is really good as well.

Courgettes dry well and I usually chuck them into the slow cooker over the winter - still waiting for my glut this year as well  ::)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 14:31 »
Having now finished drying the oregano, I'm stunned at how much you need to do. I had two trays generously filled with leaves, and after drying and crushing it came to less than half a 7g spice jar :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 14:51 »
Cucumber is one of those things that goes from nothing to glut, and they're useless for freezing so I usually end up giving loads away, so it would be nice to find a way of keeping them.
Fridge & freezer pickles!  :)
http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=252
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 20:13 »
I tried making pickled cucumbers last year, but didn't like them. I'm not that much of a pickle person really. About the only one I like a lot is piccallilli, but sadly I'm useless at growing cauliflowers.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 20:41 »
but sadly I'm useless at growing cauliflowers.

Me too. But the guy across the way like piccalilli and is great at caulis.

BP
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 14:34 »
Drying tomatoes and gem squash at the moment and had a spare tray to fill, plus a few outdoor bush cukes, so trying them to see what they are like.

Just curious as the vegetable powders I have made so far by processing dried veg are such strong pure flavours, I'm getting a bit hooked on them  :D  

Will try some dry and process a few.  If they are pants, I'll rehydrate them and feed them to the chickens  :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 15:24 »

Got to agree ! :lol: :lol:

I wonder if these people cause fruit and veg flavoured clouds ? ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 15:30 »

Got to agree ! :lol: :lol:

I wonder if these people cause fruit and veg flavoured clouds ? ::)

Well if you find you have cucumber flavoured rain in the next day or so you can blame me  :lol:

I like experimenting so a dehydrator is a dangerous toy for me to have  ;)  

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 17:02 »
I don't know if they'd make a good powdered sprinkle because cucumbers don't really taste of anything.

I've no experience of drying anything - I only looked at this thread because I couldn't imagine what dried cucumber would be like (and for what purpose!!).  However, I love my cues, especially the knobbly sort, and think they have a wonderful flavour (not to mention their aroma), so I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you on the issue of taste!! 

As for freezing, I've frozen cucumber soup successfully before, but at the point where it's just in stock and before you add the yoghurt and/or cream obviously.  Just let it defrost and continue with the recipe - delish!  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 18:03 »
Just sampled the part dried slices and they are a bit chewy, but very nice concentrated cuke flavour.  Huuuummmmm - might be a useful experiment after all  ;)

allot2learn

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 21:31 »
I wish I could find a way of preserving cue's as I have collected seven off just two plants this week. I have three in the fridge and the rest are being given away. I just wish my toms could keep up with them.

xx
quick v dried

Started by Gardeners Delight on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2007, 16:48
by gobs
xx
Sun dried tomatoes

Started by GraciesGran on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2023, 15:36
by cc
xx
Rehydrating dried veg

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 06:38
by New shoot
xx
sun dried tomatoes

Started by big green bloke on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 23, 2006, 22:06
by hayles62

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 33 queries.