preserving pan

• 22 Replies

summer29

preserving pan
« on: May 27, 2010, 14:28 »
Where can I get a preserving pan that does not cost too much?
Is there a specific type i need?

compostqueen

Re: preserving pan
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 14:30 »
I got one as the big pressure cooker pan I was using just wasn't big enough when making chutneys as you need stirring room

I got mine online but it cost about £38.  I suppose it depends on how often you will use it. I use mine for making big batches of soup as well and pasta when there's a crowd  :)

Spana

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 17:13 »
The aluminium pans are much cheaper than stainless steel, you should be able to get one for under £20.  Mines aluminium, doesn't look as nice as the stainless steel ones but its done me for the last 40 years.  I have friends with very expensive jam pans that are just for effect - or should that be affect :unsure:- and never used. :wacko:
Ive made thousands of jars in my cheapo :lol:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 17:48 by Spana »

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 21:01 »
I've had a non stick one for the last 10 years or so. Bought it from a hardware shop that was closing down. I reckon I need a new one as the non stick surface is a bit scratched. It still works though.
I'm going to look at Lakeland for a new one. Not sure how much they are, but I'll use it 10-12 times a year anyway, and their stuff is pretty good.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 16:23 »
I tried making jam in a big saucepan which was quite hairy as the jam boiled and you had to snatch the pan off the heat, using a maslin pan is much easier and safer. You could try Amazon they have them at quite resonable price

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 17:13 »
The aluminium pans are much cheaper than stainless steel, you should be able to get one for under £20.  Mines aluminium, doesn't look as nice as the stainless steel ones but its done me for the last 40 years.  I have friends with very expensive jam pans that are just for effect - or should that be affect :unsure:- and never used. :wacko:
Ive made thousands of jars in my cheapo :lol:

Ditto.....
Blow the looks - Does it work well and economically? Yep!!   :)
Aluminium is fine  ;)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 17:19 »
I know ali pans are fine for jam, but I understood that you weren't supposed to use them for making chutney.............can't remember why though  :wacko:  :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 17:27 »
I know ali pans are fine for jam, but I understood that you weren't supposed to use them for making chutney.............can't remember why though  :wacko:  :nowink:

This may well be true but we have jars and jars of chutney (made a couple of years ago) and can't recall using anything else other than the pressure cooker base / pan as we had a couple of lots on the go at once and that's ali too  ::)

Interesting.......???? (I'll wait and see.)

madcat

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 17:37 »
The idea is that the vinegar reacts with the aluminum oxide and can taint the taste.  I have to confess that my chutneys are too 'robust' for my poor tastebuds to tell.   :D   Maybe if you were doing something delicate and left it in the pan? ??? 

Anyway, I too have shelves of the stuff made in an aluminium preserving pan ... which I 'inherited' so didn't get to choose!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 17:42 »
The idea is that the vinegar reacts with the aluminum oxide and can taint the taste.  I have to confess that my chutneys are too 'robust' for my poor tastebuds to tell.   :D   Maybe if you were doing something delicate and left it in the pan? ??? 

Anyway, I too have shelves of the stuff made in an aluminium preserving pan ... which I 'inherited' so didn't get to choose!

Vinegar / aluminium.... no wonder the OH keeps a careful eye on me!!  ;)  ::)  ::)  :lol: Sounds familiar - I forget.
Perhaps she was around when the chutney was being made too  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 17:42 »
Ahh I knew there was something.............mums are usually right, (but not me obviously ;) )and mine was on this occasion  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 17:43 »
Ahh I knew there was something.............mums are usually right, (but not me obviously ;) )and mine was on this occasion  :lol:

"Mum's" the word  :lol:

madcat

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 19:51 »
Since I inherited mine from my mum in law ....   ???   :unsure:  Oh well!

Spana

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 20:27 »
Perhaps after all the years I've been using mine we have got used to the taint taste and never having made any in a stainless pan we have nothing to compare it with :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 02:48 »
I did so much canning and preserving that I literally wore out many pans, usually during the busy season. So, I decided I had to invest a bit of money. I waited for a good sale on a quality stainless pot maker in Canada and bought a large heavyweight stainless stock pot which can handle a half bushel of toms at a time. The heavy base means less burning and if I keep the heat on low, I can actually leave it for a few hours to stew down while I work in the garden and come back to non-burned whatever.
My bottling pan is actually a large pressure canner which I mostly use for water bathing quart sized and half quart mason bottles. I pressure can all my toms otherwise something upsets my tummy a lot. I got the pressure canner on a final clearance  at a discount shop. At the time it was still a lot of money but I've had the pressure canner for almost 25 years now and it's still in prime shape, and the stock pot will also last a long time. You can't beat quality if you're doing quantity.

xx
Preserving Day.....

Started by triage999 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 21:47
by Redwellies
question
Preserving

Started by AUNTIEBIZZIE on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 22:12
by iggyboy
xx
New to preserving..

Started by cudders on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 14:55
by Beetroot queen
xx
storing & Preserving - Help

Started by little sweetpeas on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 20:46
by little sweetpeas

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 37 queries.