Advice on moving greenhouse over 5.5ft hedge

• 7 Replies

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« on: January 17, 2009, 13:29 »
Hello. Well I'm feeling rather pleased that I have bagged a approx 6x4ft greenhouse. Its  really old but in pretty good condition. I've been scrapping the moss off today in prep. I have read WD40 can help with bolts.
The question I have is what do you think is best. I only have tomorrow afternoon and next weekend to move it. As it is my neighbours garden I don't have far too travel.
We have a 5.5ft conifer hedge as a boundry. The only other access is an alley way so would have to fully dismantle so may as well pass over the hedge.
We have thought about using planks either side of the hedge and trying to push it up and over. Or do we remove the glass first. The frame will then be easily lifted over the hedge.
If you think best to remove some or all of the glass how do you get it out without it breaking? Maybe I'm being really thick but I just cannot move clips enough. Do you have to start with the roof?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 13:48 »
Take the glass out and it will be so much lighter and safer.

Start from the roof down, you don't want to be working under loose glass.

Hows the glass held ? in there's a couple of types that I know of one looks like a W the the other like a C when it's out, either way you need to try to compress the clip to get them out or sometimes you can winkle them out with a screw driver.

Use a wallpaper scraper to slide between tie panes of glas and the seals if your having trouble getting them out once the clips have come out.

The WD40 may not be enough, but you can usually over tighten them too break them as a last resort.

Good luck and be careful around all that glass  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 15:47 »
Yes, take the glass out like richie says but remember to draw a diagram so it's easy to put back in.  I had the same problem with my second hand greenhouse, but once the glass was out even I could have lifted it over the fence.
Cheese makes everything better.

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
clips
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 17:33 »
The clips at the sides are like 'w' do I need to get them out or will they slide? I know the clips between the planes of glass will slide side to side.

Thanks for your help hope I can get it over the hedge tomorrow. Managed to bag another 9 large paving slabs for free so I'm really on a roll at the moment.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 19:07 »
Only other thing to remember is to take lots of photos. For your own benefit and to post on here afterwards  :D

The w clips just spring out but you'll lose a few on the way. Be careful that old glass can crack when the tension of the clips is removed. Not much you can do about it but mind yourself.

Likewise when you take off the lap clips the panes can slide.

Rob 8)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
moving
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 19:57 »
well i hope it goes to plan if all the glass breaks then at least it will be quick and i wont have to clean it im sure i can replace pretty cheap anyway.

Knight Family

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 23:01 »
one thing i found was to take out glass as aboce but then split the roof down and the 4 sides and transport like that
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
safe as houses
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 20:28 »
Well one hours work Sunday afternoon (without child) aquired us our new greenhouse over the hedge. It is prob 8x6 but have not measured it, def bigger than we thought. Will post pics once got chance but lots of hard graft needed to get things in place. Hoping this weekend will be dry so I can get Jon to help.

As a bonus I now own a small water butt, two benche (in need of restoration) and some metal which will be usefull to make shelving in the shed or greenhouse.  :D

xx
Moving a greenhouse?

Started by fallen angel on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 20:20
by JayG
xx
Help please... am stuck moving greenhouse!

Started by missycat on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 06:53
by Rangerkris
xx
Advice a dissasembly of Greenhouse

Started by nickmcmechan on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post January 08, 2011, 13:47
by mike1987
xx
Greenhouse base advice

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 20:46
by DD.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.