Shed overhang

• 4 Replies

Dr Mud

Shed overhang
« on: September 30, 2021, 16:44 »
Hi
Just joined. I need to re-roof an old 6x4 pent shed on my plot. Found a company who can deliver a piece of 8x4 OSB which I would need to cut by hand on site. However...I thought why not use it uncut and create a 2 ft overhang (52cm to be precise) on the left side in the picture. I have enough roof felt to cover the overhang and even wrap right under if need be. I don't think it will need supporting verticals but a shed maker suggested purlins attached to the existing shed. Not quite sure how these can be retro-fitted because the board width will only fit flush to the shed width, i.e. no lateral overhanging strips on which to attach the purlins, if these were nailed to the tops of the shed sides. I imagine that fitting purlins further in, into the existing structure could involve some major carpentry which I want to avoid. Any ideas?
Allotment_shed.jpg

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Re: Shed overhang
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 07:15 »
If you don't want to fit or extend purlins a simple gallows style bracket fitted front and rear should offer enough support.

wighty

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 16:15 »
I've asked my 'expert' (husband) who says OSB is strong enough and you don't need purlins or brackets really.  The only reason he can think of putting a brace in would be if your site is windy so would help if the wind got underneath and tried to lift it.  We deal with OSB in our hardware shop every day so I think he knows what  he's talking about!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 18:04 »
OSB should be grade 3 and 18mm is better than 1mm.
Also if you trim side off the OSB and then screw this to a batten creating the drop around the roof.
You could screw roof to shed, before felting. If more than 1 piece of felt, think wind direction. And lastly put gutter on back to collect rain water.
OSB might be very pricey at the mo.
I used onduline, but not worth the expense for a plot shed.
You could put purlins in to help support new roof, I used 1x2 on mine, especially if OSB is 11mm

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 06:50 »
Why not overhang equally on each side?  It'd keep a bit more rain off the walls, be less likely to catch the wind and the symmetry would be more pleasing to the eye of most.  Shouldn't need new purlins but make sure that enough of the frame is sound enough to screw into securely.  Are you leaving the existing roof on?  If not then be careful with the roof off.  If it's a mostly 2x1 frame then the roof sheet is probably helping keep the walls  square and a strong gust of wind might make it a bigger job!

xx
Shed painting: what colour is your shed (resolve a domestic)

Started by fekq on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 19:47
by BestBreast
xx
help with fence panel shed/potting shed

Started by peppa on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:30
by poultrygeist
xx
New bike shed/ tool shed build

Started by Aidy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 20:12
by Dopey113
xx
My new shed??

Started by summer-sun on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 19:40
by Swee'pea

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 40 queries.