Brussels sprouts

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

Brussels sprouts
« on: November 07, 2020, 18:26 »
this is the first season we have actually got good sprouts the stalks are like tree trunks with lovely good size buttons but i can't remember the variety i bought i think the variety was Bright but not to sure ?

I know they where an F1 seed and there seems to be quite a difference in price for F1's to open pollinated varieties i know we always buy F1 brussels sprouts seed but do you think there's more chance to get better results from F1's than O/P varieties?

so i don't know what i did different this season to get a good crop of sprouts maybe its the horse manure i used or a sprinkle of fertilizer and i kept spraying the crop to keep the white butterflies out i did find a white butterfly that had got in the net but never seen any caterpillar's on the crop so the spray i used must have worked I'm going to pick some next week to sample the goods  :D

jezza

Re: Brussels sprouts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 18:51 »
Hello itll be the horse manure Brussels Sprouts are gready and like a lot of nitrogen,careful with the spray as it can taint the sprouts I had some last week that had been sprayed with washing up liquid based spray, might as well of drunk the washing up water they were vile   jezza

rowlandwells

Re: Brussels sprouts
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 17:54 »
it took a little time to actually get the spray rite Jezza although  i did  have  some help from a professional gardener to get the mix rite that didn't harm both the plants or the taste of the veg when picked and I'm quite happy with the results from using this spray instead of using any chemical spray that would have certainly been using  had i not been satisfied with the results of the organic spray as I've always used chemical spray in the past

xx
Brussels sprouts

Started by adal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 12:00
by penance
xx
brussels sprouts

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2021, 16:17
by Mr Dog
xx
the brussels sprouts

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2020, 07:26
by DHM
xx
brussels sprouts

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2017, 22:07
by freefolk

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 38 queries.