Jam from wine fruit

• 6 Replies

gorymorph

Jam from wine fruit
« on: July 27, 2010, 19:38 »
hi all
   didnt know where to put this one, in Preserving or Homebrew. Well here goes
  I have just started some Black Currant wine. At the moment its sitting in a fermenting bucket for 5 days, then i sieve it in to a demijon. I was wondering if i could use the fruit from the sieve to make jam?????

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Jam from wine fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 20:44 »
I really wouldn't think so because all the goodness and taste from the fruit has gone into the wine (you hope)

unless someone knows differently  :lol:

SG6

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 20:46 »
Don't think so.
Never heard of anyone doing so and if it were possible/feasible I am sure that people will have tried it and so it would be well known.

Most of what you need for jam will have been extracted in the fermentation process and what is left will be "spent". All the juice will have gone so what is left? Also what is left will have a good proportion of dead yeast cells.

Oddly have read of wine from fruit jam recipes but making jam does not take out anything, what it does do is have pectin in jam (makes it set) so a pectic enzyne is necessary if going from jam to wine.

gorymorph

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 19:42 »
well i was going to dump the fruit after  making the wine, but i put it in a bowl in the fridge untill i made up my mind. Well when i got home my wife had made some. Its now in jars ready, i trie a little on a spoon and its lovely.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:51 »
the way i see it anything is worth a try if it works then you have gained something from it if doesnt then you havnt really lost much you would of only threw it ou or put it on the compost heap anyway

pottyaboutgrowing

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 18:26 »
I;m late coming to this thread but my answer would have been to try it. All to quickly we like to throw away stuff that we think is done with yet who knew.. see you have jam where others have nothing. Well done for giving it a go. :tongue2:
Please make yourself at home! Clean my kitchen...    A  good balanced diet is a piece of cake! In each hand.:)

Knight Family

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 15:19 »
Sorry a bit late to this as well, but yes you can. We did it last year with Damson Gin, once the fruit had been used its then used for Jam or now Jelly I think.

All I will say it tasted better since it also had a slight Gin taste!!!
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

xx
Fruit wine

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 09:58
by Capt Zero
xx
fruit wine

Started by mike1987 on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 11:11
by mike1987
xx
Tinned fruit wine.

Started by Sideways on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 19:44
by wisp
xx
Fruit teas .... wine?

Started by wisp on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 22:36
by mdueal

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.